Views
Helpful
Replies

UCSM Server Pool Policy

Kryptkeeper
Level 1
Level 1

All,

While researching UCSM server pool policies it was noted that to build one you usually construct them via:

1. Define a Pool

2. Define a Server Pool Policy Qualification

3. Tie the two above together with a Server Pool Policy

The documentation states you can you this for auto-provision of servers if they are added. However, after using UCS-PE I don't actually see where you select the Server Pool Policy. Upon reading about Server Discovery Policy it states a Server Pool Policy can be used. However, when creating one it only has the Server Pool Policy Qualifications as a option.

Thus, does the logic flow like this for Blade Server Discovery:

1. Blade Server Discovery is configured with Server Pool Policy Qualification.

2. Server Pool Policy Qualification is evaluated.

3. If Server Pool Policy Qualfication is true the Server Pool Policy is referenced.

4. The Server Pool Policy has a Server Pool Defined, and the Server is then placed is said Server Pool.

Below are the two links I am using to base my question on. Also, thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2_chapter_011110.html#d128452e9089a1635

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2_chapter_011110.html#d128452e8469a1635

4 Replies 4

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

I am trying to understand your question a little bit better... are you trying to understand how a server will qualify to be added to a server pool?

-Kenny

Kenny,

The post was to confirm whether I had Server Pool Policy, and Blade Server Discovery understood correctly.

Thanks in advance. Good day.

-Kryptkeeper

OK, so server pool policies are used for "Auto Deployment" where you create your service profile, bind it to a pool where all server that meet the qualifications will belong to.  In other words, if you have a new service profile and you bind it to a pool, that pool will, for example, have servers that have an amount of memory between 128GB and 1TB, or servers that have more than 10 CPU cores available for the OS.

Servers can belong to more than one policy as long as they meet the requirements.

Server Discovery is the process in which UCSM adds that piece of hardware to its inventory and that also helps determine if it an specific server can belong to certain pool.

Let me know if you have further queries/doubts.

-Kenny

If you have no more questions, please mark the question as answered for future users to see you found the info you were looking for.

-Kenny

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card