Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Call Home questions

Kuba Latkiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Team,

I am looking for someone that can advise on Smart Call Home and answer some questions. My need would be to talk to someone who can answer questions like:

If SNTC has a connection to SCH portal?

Do they share a database?
Or inventory?
Can users be set up centrally?
How does an RMA influence the inventory?
What happens in SCH portal in a case of an RMA?

Thank you.

Kuba

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Justin Sprake
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kuba,

I would be glad to assist. Please find my answers below:

• Any connection between SNTC and SCH?
    • Currently, there is no interoperability between SCH and SNTC.
  • Do they share a database?
    • These databases are separate and provide different deliverables based on differing Cisco IC.
  • Or inventory?
    • SCH requires communication from each device individually (either through a proxy or direct communication to Cisco) in order to generate an SR or transmit device health data. SNTC requires an on-site Collector appliance to pull data via SNMP/SSH then uploads all data in bulk via an 'Inventory'.
  • Can users be set up centrally?
    • Since both services are separate, users must be set up separately. SCH users are typically first on-boarded during device registration (Device sends a call-home inventory message to Cisco, Cisco confirms with an automated email containing a security token which activates the device and associates/registers the user).
  • How does an RMA influence the inventory?
    • SNTC should reflect any adds/changes to devices in the event of an RMA (The CSPC could be scheduled to poll the network periodically, detecting the new device SN once it is back online). SCH will require re-activation of the device once the call-home configuration has been completed, there is no transfer of SCH data between RMA'd devices.
  • What happens in SCH portal in a case of an RMA?
    • Devices are instantiated via their Chassis SN (or UDI in the case of a virtual device). A SCH admin user will need to review their Registered Devices list within the SCH portal to ensure that if a device is decommissioned that it is de-registered from the SCH portal as there is no automatic clean up in the event of an RMA. On-going contract validations would cause an RMA'd device entry to fail entitlement check within the SCH portal so it would no longer be SR capable for that Customer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Justin Sprake
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kuba,

I would be glad to assist. Please find my answers below:

• Any connection between SNTC and SCH?
    • Currently, there is no interoperability between SCH and SNTC.
  • Do they share a database?
    • These databases are separate and provide different deliverables based on differing Cisco IC.
  • Or inventory?
    • SCH requires communication from each device individually (either through a proxy or direct communication to Cisco) in order to generate an SR or transmit device health data. SNTC requires an on-site Collector appliance to pull data via SNMP/SSH then uploads all data in bulk via an 'Inventory'.
  • Can users be set up centrally?
    • Since both services are separate, users must be set up separately. SCH users are typically first on-boarded during device registration (Device sends a call-home inventory message to Cisco, Cisco confirms with an automated email containing a security token which activates the device and associates/registers the user).
  • How does an RMA influence the inventory?
    • SNTC should reflect any adds/changes to devices in the event of an RMA (The CSPC could be scheduled to poll the network periodically, detecting the new device SN once it is back online). SCH will require re-activation of the device once the call-home configuration has been completed, there is no transfer of SCH data between RMA'd devices.
  • What happens in SCH portal in a case of an RMA?
    • Devices are instantiated via their Chassis SN (or UDI in the case of a virtual device). A SCH admin user will need to review their Registered Devices list within the SCH portal to ensure that if a device is decommissioned that it is de-registered from the SCH portal as there is no automatic clean up in the event of an RMA. On-going contract validations would cause an RMA'd device entry to fail entitlement check within the SCH portal so it would no longer be SR capable for that Customer.

Hi Justin,

thank you for the answer.

Kind regards

Kuba