cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSPC2.5.2.1 VMWare Tools

bwalsh
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to install VMWare tools on the collector?

I've deployed the following:

sntc-cspc2.5.2.1-OVF10.ova

I've set VMWare to "check and upgrade tools during power on", but that doesn't seem to work.

I'm being asked my my VMWare admin to install them so that snapshots work correctly.

5 Replies 5

Jarrett Pomeroy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your question.  By default, VMWare tools is not installed onto our CSPC Appliances.  However our base OS runs Linux CentOS and you may enable collectorlogin/root CLI access and add the application as needed for a linux platform.

To enable collectorlogin and root please use these two commands.  (1 is the number of days you wish the users to remain active for and can go up to 180). Please remember or save these passwords once created.

pwdreset collectorlogin 1

pwdreset root 1

Thank you,

Jarrett

Hello,

Is the same case for the PSS-CSPCSERVER-2.6.0.1-OVF10.OVA?

Thanks.

Yes, both commands still work in that version.

john.edmiston
Level 1
Level 1

FWIW I was able to install VMware tools on SNTC-CSPC2.6.1-RC1-OVF10.

I had to add a mount point and mount the cdrom to the vm so I could attach the VMware tools install .iso.  This allowed me to copy the install to the local disk and then run the perl script to install.

You should log in as root and let your VMware admin do this for you.

My smart net portal is still telling me to wait 24 hours after almost a week so I don't know if installing VMware tools has impacted communication with the portal or not, but fully quiesced snapshots work.

tyler.solberg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I realize this is an older thread but I cannot find anything else in regards to VMware tools for the CSPC appliance.  Is there a way to install it on a newer version of CSPC?  We deployed 2.9 and vSphere is griping that VMware Tools is not installed.  I attempted to mount the installer, copy the files and run the perl script but received an error "VMware Tools cannot be installed since they have already been installed using a package-based mechanism (rpm or deb) on this system".

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: