Views
Helpful
Replies

Root Access

Fredrick Willis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've deployed at least 4 collectors and I've had this issue with all of them. I'm able to access the root account using command line the 1st time when confirming the generated password per the instructions when configuring the collector.

However, when I try to command line using the root account any time after that it says "access denied".  Yes I'm entering the correct password, I have screen shots. In the past I've reset the password using the admin account and still didn't work. I've had this issue with CSPC collector 2.5 and 2.6.

Is there a reason why you guys are restricting/disabling access to the root account?

2 Replies 2

Lynden Price
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fredrick,

If you SSH into the admin shell using the "admin" username, you can then run the following two commands:

pwdreset collectorlogin 180

and

pwdreset root 180

You can then SSH in using the "collectorlogin" username, and switch to or use the root password from there. Those logins take you into the underlying Linux CentOS.

Thanks,

Lynden

Lynden,

I know how to reset the passwords for both accounts and I know their purpose.

My question is: "Is there a reason why you guys are restricting/disabling access to the root account?" I can only access the root account one time on the initial setup. When I try to access the account again, I receive "access denied". I've tried using multiple workstations, but I still receive the same message. Resetting the password doesn’t work either. Again, this has happened on multiple collectors on multiple versions.