cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 Switch - How do I change the Management IP address

marc
Level 1
Level 1

SO I have a SG300 and I've been trying now for about 2 hours to change the management IP address.

The switch is in L3 Mode

VLAN 1 has grabbed an IP address from DHCP.

I'm able to login to that IP address with the GUI just fine.

I see the VLAN 1 interface defined and it's the IP address from DHCP.

I can select it and edit it

In the interface I can change from DHCP to Static but it will not let me edit the static IP address.

After I've saved the above I can't now go back in and edit that interface and change it back to DHCP.

FIrmware version is 1.3.0.62    

7 Replies 7

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Marc, the easiest way for me to explain is this-

Go to Security -> TCP/UDP services and enable telnet

Telnet to the switch

Sign in

do the following commands

config t

interface vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0  (or whatever IP and mask you'd like)

exit

exit

copy run start

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

rcs-sw28#config t

rcs-sw28(config)#interface vlan 1

rcs-sw28(config-if)#ip address 192.168.119.250 255.255.255.0

Duplicated IP interface on the same subnet.

rcs-sw28(config-if)#

This is what I get in the GUI if I try to add another interface

ADDED-

The existing interface vlan 1 already has an IP address that it got from DHCP.

I want to edit that one to a static IP address

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Marc,

The way to statically set the VLAN1 management IP address is to add it on top of the DHCP entry.

In the web GUI, go to IP Configuration >> Management and IP Interfaces >> IPv4 interface and click on Add.

For interface select VLAN 1 choose static and configure as needed.

The DHCP entry is permanent, so that if you ever erase all of your addresses you will still be able to reach the switch from a DHCP acquired address.  So the only way to change it is to add a new static address on top of it.

Be careful, becasue the first static address you set on the switch automatically becomes the management IP address of the switch.  It is possible to lock yourself out and have to reset by setting a the first static on a VLAN you haven't assigned to any ports.  You can tell when it is using a static address because the system light will stay solid.

Let me know how that goes.

Christopher Ebert

----

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

I have tried that and it will not let me add a static IP address in the same subnet as the dhcp one.

Hi Marc, you may create a 2nd vlan and associate a port to this vlan then configure a static IP (of a different subnet) to that vlan. Then connect your computer to this port and then modify the configuration of your vlan 1. The goal would be to change vlan 1 to some frivulous IP address then change it back to what is desired.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

ktavadia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Marc,

Thanks for contacting Cisco Support Community.

I hope the link below helps you to change the management IP address.

Configuration of Native VLAN on the SF and SG 200/300 Series Managed Switches

Regards,

Kurush Tavadia

knuckleheadbob
Level 1
Level 1

the sg300 in L3 has the most useless set of management functionality I have ever seen, can't do a simple ip change on the same plan without first creating a new ip on a different vlan and new route just so you can redo everything again to put it back on the original vlan. does anyone actually QA this code.