cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-S FlexStack - stack integration problem?

mattwilliams01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client with two WS-C2960S-24PD-L devices, both devices have Flexstack modules and are running C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) IOS.

The first switch is in use with a running-config on it and due to upsizing the client wants me to add the new switch to the existing switch to make a single stack (CoXYZStack).

I have dug around on the Cisco WebSite and am only able to find the following Flexstack Guide;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-578928.html

Unfortunately this document doesn't really detail the configuration I require on either switch? Has anyone had experience of configuring Cisco Flexstack, if so can you give me a few pointers around the required configuration on the two switches.

Basically what is happening is that both switches are acting as standalone 'stacks' in their own right and I am unable to get them to recognize each other or operate together in a single stack.

switch 1 provision ws-c2960s-24pd-l
switch 2 provision ws-c2960s-24pd-l

I tried the switch 'x' provision 'xyz' configuration line on CoXYZSw1 and as you can see when doing a 'sho switch detail' it shows as provisioned but on powering down the CoXYZSw2 none of the stack-ports or the stack-ring come up?

CoXYZSw1#sho switch detail
Switch/Stack Mac Address : c8ba.bf77.1234
                                           H/W   Current
Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State
----------------------------------------------------------
*1       Master c8ba.bf77.1234     14     1       Ready    <<< You will see I also tried altering CoXYZSw1 priority to 14 to ensure it came up as Master
2       Member 0000.0000.0000     0      1       Provisioned

CoXYZSw1#sho switch stack-ring speed

Stack Ring Speed        : 10G
Stack Ring Configuration: Down
Stack Ring Protocol     : FlexStack

CoXYZSw1#sho switch stack-ports
  Switch #    Port 1       Port 2
  --------    ------       ------
    1          Down         Down

And as you would expect the switch doesn't see or recognize its neighbour? I have tried both possible Flexstack cabling configuratione i.e. Stack 1 to Stack 1 / Stack 2 to Stack 2  and also Stack 1 to Stack 2 / Stack 1 to Stack 2

CoXYZSw1#sho switch neighbors
      1        None          None

Anybody any ideas or a example configurations would be greatly appreciated.

Ps: Also had a try with this 'stackmaker' config but that didn't seem to help much either? 'stackmaker name CoXYZStack'

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need a minimum of one stack cable connected.

Make sure that the 2nd switch DOES NOT HAVE any configuration in it.

And yes, power down the switch stack member 2, connect a console cable and power it up.  Post the output generated.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FlexStack is enabled by default.  The "switch provisioning" and "switch priority" is what you should be configuring in your switch stack master.

If the status with the command "sh switch status" is showing stack member 2 as "provisioning" then there's a chance that the stacking module is not working.

My recommendation is to plug a console cable into switch stack member 2 and power it up.  Make sure the stack module is inserted properly and s_crewed in correctly.

Thanks for the quick response leolaohoo.

Am I correct in thinking that I only need to do the 'switch provisioning' config on CoXYZSw1 (the Sw I want to be Master)?

So config would be;

switch 1 provision ws-c2960s-24pd-l

switch 2 provision ws-c2960s-24pd-l

What happens on Sw2?

It already has switch 1 provision ws-c2960s-24pd-l

Is the idea to power down Sw2, ensure Flexstack cables connected and then power up Sw2?

Also wanted to confirm the following;

Do I need to have both FlexStack cables connected (I think they call this fully-redundant mode / or only one reqd for setup?)

Is any Stack / Stackmaster config reqd on either device to have a named stack already prior to setup?

You need a minimum of one stack cable connected.

Make sure that the 2nd switch DOES NOT HAVE any configuration in it.

And yes, power down the switch stack member 2, connect a console cable and power it up.  Post the output generated.

Hey Thanks Again.

It'll probably be about a week before I can get back to you - unfortunately it is a remote site so I will need to go back out there to do this. I will post the output generated though..

Thanks.  Looking forward to see the output generated.

Nice puzzle! 

Hey leolaohoo,

Got it fixed.....

Went back to site at the weekend and did the following;

Saved existing configs

Stripped configs from Sw1 & Sw2

Reloaded devices

Removed / reseated each stack module

Rebooted devices in order and succesfully brough 2960-S Stack up

Put new configuration on stack

It was as easy as that! So unclear if this was a seating issue with the modules or cables? Or if the stack didn't like the config on Sw1. Either way it's working now and I'm a bit wiser about stacking 2960s. Thanks for your assistance ;-)

So unclear if this was a seating issue with the modules or cables?

I'm suspecting the stacking modules were not seated properly.  You see the Cisco has designed the cables to "click" in but the modules needed to be s_crewed in.

Or if the stack didn't like the config on Sw1.

Normally what I (and alot of people) would do is configure just the stack master.  If I have more than two switches in a stack, I would provision the other stack members via the configuration of the stack master.  It's that easy.

Then when you apply power, the stack master powers up first, wait for ten seconds then power up the rest of the switch stack according to the order of your choice.

Please don't forget to configure "switch # priority ##".

I'm glad to see your issue has been resolved. 

Looks like I hit the same issue and just would like to share my experience with anyone who may be stuck as well.

I spent two days trying to troubleshoot stacking because it gave me

Switch#sh switch stack-ports

1           DOWN           DOWN

2           DOWN           DOWN

and the stack never comes up.

Additional confusion came from boot message saying "SM: Detected stack cables at PORT1 PORT2"

but stack never worked.

The problem was in stack cables - thoose damn small cables!

You have to insert them until they click so it is no gap between flex module and plastic cover of the cable.

Once I pushed them to the end - magic happened

CVOIP2014
Level 1
Level 1

Helpful post Leo but as often seems the case with my own situation, what I face is too unique to find any posting for it.  Maybe some insight?  

I have the same problem as mattwilliams01 but the difference being I ALREADY had stacked two new switches, configured in my lab, tested and saved configs and backups.  I took them to the data closet and placed and now Master only shows "provisioned" for the second switch.  I tried all the techniques that matt above did with the cable configs, delayed reboot, rebooting both, rebooting just one, etc., and nothing.  Holding the mode button on switch 2 (the one that won't join the stack now) flashes port 2 as I would expect and Master flashes port 1 and confirmed in the Master as *1.

I have another non-configured switch and the path of least resistance is to place it and be done with it but this is the second time I've seen this happen here and I'd like to get to the root of it.  Have you ever heard of this?  Is there some config muck-up I'm unaware of, perhaps?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card