cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 - link light on but no cable connected

jlmickens
Level 1
Level 1

I just completed installation of a stacked pair of 3850s in my datacenter.  While I was installing them, I noticed that the lights on ports 1-8 on one of the switches were on solid even though there were no cables connected to that switch.  I don't see anything in the logs or anywhere else in the CLI that indicate a problem, however the lights remain on.  This only happens on switch 1, not switch 2.  Once I plugged the cable into port 1, it flashes normally with activity, but 2-8 remain on solid even though nothing is connected to them.

Before I put the switches in place, I had configured them at my desk with the console connection, and those lights were not lit up.

The indicators on the front of both switches are set in STAT mode.  I thought initially I had hit the button and flipped it to a different mode, but that is not the case.  Has anyone seen this behavior before?

8 Replies 8

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think you are one of the lucky few who have equipment that new so you may not get too many answers.

I've seen this on a 3750X just a couple of days ago. But I found that I must have somehow pressed the 'mode' button which caused this. So I started messing around with the mode buttons - was quite a show! But I found that whilst I was doing this, the switch LED's would pause every now and then and stay on... Not sure if this is exactly the same behavior.

just a link here for the LED in case youre interested

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/hardware/installation/guide/HIGOVERV.html#wp1315536

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

I had an issue similar to this one. A user of mine laptop would not connect the network. I noticed her mac on another interface but there wasn't a device connected to that interface. So I went back and unplugged the device from the interface (Interface lights showed activity,) and when i unplugged it, the activity lights were still going. I eventually shut it down and all was well.The device was a 3850.

I was a little worried about that Glen.  I may have to open a case...

The lights seem to stay lit regardless of what mode the button switches to.  I think I am going to try a reload of the whole stack.

Doing a reload of the stack did the trick.  Luckily the switch was not in production yet, so it wasn't difficult to make that happen.

Rating post so it can help others

Thank you for sharing.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

farzu_shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Even I have same issue.. Any help my aches are inn stack.. Port led on continue.status showing connected with laptop but no Mac learning 

Any help

justthompson
Level 1
Level 1

I had this issue as well

Reloading the stack fixed the issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card