Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 VSS standby stuck in initilization

ksherwood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

after a power outage our standby VSS switch has not recovered. The switch keeps cycling through its initialization and then powers off all modules.

Has anyone had this same result and/or do you know what has occured and how to troubleshoot.

The Dead peer detection is working and VSL links are up.

Any ideas ???

6 Replies 6

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Could you share the console logs from the switch to understood what is happening to standby supervisor. If possible, please connect the console cable on standby supervisor to know the status like where it get stuck.

Please share the below capture as well to investigate this issue.

# show version

# show switch virtual redundancy

# show switch virtual redundancy mismatch

# show switch virtual role detail

Regards,

Aru

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Thanks Aru, we are not keen to turn the standby back on as yet, but the IOS is the typical 12.2(33) SXI7

I'll try to get the bootup logs, but can you think of anything that we should be looking for to stop it from finishing the boot. From memory it seems to recognise it is in VSS mode and sees the two VS port channels, then it says the DAD link is up and after that it disables these connections and repeats everything again.

I know it's hard to diagnose from this so I'll try to ge the real logs.

From the standby actions it looks like the SSO dependancies are not being met. I will check each switch closely to ensure that both switches have the required elements. The IOS is the same but there must be something that the system doesn't like. I will keep you updated.

One other thing to note here.  You IOS (12.2(33)SXI2) is about 4 years old and it could very well be a bug in the code. There were so many bugs in the earlier version of SXI for VSS.  If you can upgrade to SXJ or 15.0.  15 for VSS seems to be pretty solid.

HTH

Just to finish this discussion up, no problem was identified but with persistence the standby router was activated and all was working again.

It is still possible that the IOS is buggy.

Hi,

Not sure, I could be related with a known behavior. As Reza said, All features for future releases will start moving to      15.1.(1)SY and beyond. Sup720 and Sup2T are supported in those future trains

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card