Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a new 3750 switch to a stack with a different IOS

q-le
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

We have a WS-C3750G-24PS switch running 12.2(50)SE , C3750-IPBASEK9-M in production & stand alone and we want to ask a new

Cisco WS-C3750-24P running 12.2(55)SE3 , C3750-IPBASEK9-M into the stack with the 1st one.

Just want to know if it is possible and are there any problems with the IOS being different version.

any advices are much appreciated.

Thanks

Ql.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

alexlembesis
Level 1
Level 1

Bingo.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to have same IOS on all stack members.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

To expand a little on Paolo's answer, on the original 3750 series IOS version should be the same, but it's possible to mix feature sets (at least it used to be), although best avoided.

Hi

I am aware that you have to same IOS.

Can I add the second one to the stack and somehow push or copy the IOS from the 1st switch or Master to

the new Slave or second switch?

Will it work.

Thanks

alexlembesis
Level 1
Level 1

If the master has an older IOS verison, you should update the new member first.

If the master has a newer IOS, provided that there's enough flash memory available, the master should push the IOS to the new member.

Hope this helps...

You mean downgrade the new member's IOS to lower level so it would be the same with

the Master before I join it to the Stack?

alexlembesis
Level 1
Level 1

Bingo.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

I think the slave will do automatically a downgrade of the IOS Version from the Masters, but if you want go for sure test this in a non productive enviromemt. I've been watching this behavoir by stacking blade switches for IBMs Blade Servers.

I downgraded the new members IOS to the same as the master.

Join the stack and it works perfectly.

Thanks everyone for their help.

QL

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card