Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't give input via Console, but output is still given

soonkeatliM1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to setup a new Cisco Catalyst 2690-x and succesfully connected with the console cable and logged out after that. But the thing is I can't put in commands on my switch anymore. When I reboot the switch with my console cable in it, I can see that the booting output is given but 

it stops generating output after "%USB_CONSOLE-6-MEDIA_RJ45: Console media-type is RJ45."  After that I am unable to type anything but it will give me up/down messages if i connect a cable on a port.... Below is a part of the output where it keeps stopping.

Press RETURN to get started!

*Mar 1 00:00:27.720: Read env variable - LICENSE_BOOT_LEVEL =
*Jan 2 00:00:00.150: %IOS_LICENSE_IMAGE_APPLICATION-6-LICENSE_LEVEL: Module name = c2960x_lanbase Next reboot level = lanbase and License = lanbase
Jul 18 08:17:36.114: in Switch 0. Cannot read pid from Flexstack module

Jul 18 08:17:36.212: %HPAA:hpaa_port_bitmap_init:254:n_ports = 28, sizeof (**hpaa_port_bitmap.bitlist_array) = 16

Jul 18 08:18:13.709: %STACKMGR-4-SWITCH_ADDED: Switch 1 has been ADDED to the stack
Jul 18 08:18:15.052: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state to down
Jul 18 08:18:15.052: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to down
Jul 18 08:18:16.890: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type vlan
Jul 18 08:18:39.529: %STACKMGR-5-SWITCH_READY: Switch 1 is READY
Jul 18 08:18:39.529: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN
Jul 18 08:18:39.529: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN
Jul 18 08:18:39.903: %STACKMGR-5-MASTER_READY: Master Switch 1 is READY
Jul 18 08:18:39.906: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
Cisco IOS Software, C2960X Software (C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(2)E6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2016 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 16-Dec-16 21:27 by prod_rel_team
Jul 18 08:18:41.878: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to down
Jul 18 08:18:42.877: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to down
Jul 18 08:18:43.458: %USB_CONSOLE-6-MEDIA_RJ45: Console media-type is RJ45.

I have tried to reboot the switch and set it back to factory default via the Mode button but it hasn't worked unfortunately.

The cable is working correctly as it still gives output and works when I try to connect it to my ASA.

The baud settings are correct as well.

I didn't change anything at the first startup of the switch 

Do you guys have any idea how to regain access? 

Thanks in advance

7 Replies 7

soonkeatliM1
Level 1
Level 1

When I go into Rommon/password recovery, and the switch asks for input (flash_init/boot) I am unable to type anything as well. I have no problems typing with the same console cable on other cisco device. any ideas?

Update on this problem, when I use the mini usb to usb console cable I have no problem connecting to the 2960-x input and output is working fine, but the rj45 to usb ( official cisco cable) is still giving all the ouputbut I'm not able to give any input. I've also tried to connect it to the 4500 and a c877 to test but the problem remains the same.

I've added an attachment to this post with the baud settings and possible driver issue. Do you guys have any idea of what could cause this problem?

So you said it doesn't work on your 4500 and c877? The only thing I could think of would be the cable has gone bad. I've actually had 2 of these cables go bad for me within the last 2 years and I don't know why. It would work for a good time and then just die on me. I would then try reinstalling drivers and test the cable on another machine, still didn't work. Ordering a new cable was my only resolution.

I think the driver is okay and I also believe Windows 8 and Windows 10 already has the drivers pre-installed so it should be just plug-n-play if you're using either of those operating systems. 

Andrew Khalil
Spotlight
Spotlight

Dear Guys,

I was searching about a solution for a similar case, that the console output is working while typing is not responding at all.

Actually, I have found a lot of links and discussions on the Internet that never ended with a solution!

During reading some old discussion here, I have found a lot of solutions that are worthy but for the common traditional issues like the wrong baud rate config or the broken cables, etc. ! 

One of the most weird problem, is to find that once you start your switch for example, and connect your terminal to the console, all the output is okay, till reaching some out like the following part for example:

00:00:14: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type vlan 00:00:17: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console 00:00:17: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted -- Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1c, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 02-Feb-04 23:29 by yenanh

then you can not type any letter even, like the keyboard is not working!

some guys thought that going to the switch: mode will help, actually even when you go to that mode, you can not type any letter as well!

Actually, I faced such a problem, and I have searched everywhere! but I wasn't lucky enough to find such an issue solved anywhere, I have found some suggestion from a Cisco Employee through "Cisco Learning Network" website, and he was suggesting Replacing  the switch! as a result, the one who issued that problem replaced it!!!!!!! I couldn't believe that it can happen! 

Anyway, and without any more prolongation, I have fixed it, and I would like to share my experience in order to point others to the hardware limitations as well! 

The Solution was simply to open the body of the switch itself, and to plug out the console port wire from the switch board, then power the switch on, and again turn it of, and finally plug in the console wire back, when you power the switch, the console input will work prefect! 

Note: you can check the disassembly process and procedures photos as attached! 

The conclusion, is some time you need to assume some hardware limitations when you pass all the usual software troubleshooting procedures! 

Thanks, and wishing to be useful and helpful for those who suffer the same issue, or even to be added as an additional experience to the people who like to learn! 

Andrew Khalil! 

hadi001
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i had this problem on linux ubuntu, its show me output, but i cant do any input, with console on 2960x switch

so i changed my laptop and test with windows, and its fixed issue,

and to this day, i dont know why thats happened?

almost everyday, i connect to many devices with console, but with 2960x, no success

Vincent5
Level 1
Level 1

Got a similar problem with A WS-C3750X-24T-S.

The RJ45 Console port suddenly stopped to work yesterday. I've tried my Cisco Console cable to other switches, it still works.

It shows me output from the switch when something happens. For example when I plugin the Mini-USB cable it gives me output

*Jan  2 15:27:12.466: %USB_CONSOLE-6-MEDIA_USB: Console media-type is USB.

and when I unplug it it goes back to the RJ45 mode

*Jan  2 00:07:47.572: %USB_CONSOLE-6-MEDIA_RJ45: Console media-type is RJ45.

The RJ45 port itself looks OK and I cleaned it. I changed to a new Cisco RJ45 Console cable

Seems like the problem is in my computers serial port and not the switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: