cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can the following C3750 switches be mixed stacked (Stackwise)?

FirasChahine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I currently have these two C3750 switches stacked:

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                 

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------               

1 52    WS-C3750G-48TS     15.0(2)SE11           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M     

*    2 52    WS-C3750G-48TS     15.0(2)SE11           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M     

Is it possible to add the switch below to the group?

Switch Ports Model                     SW Version            SW Image                 

------ ----- -----                     ----------            ----------               

*    3 54    WS-C3750X-48P             15.2(4)E10            C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M     

C3750X#show license

Index 1 Feature: ipservices     

Period left: 8  weeks 4  days 

License Type: Evaluation

License State: Active, Not in Use, EULA not accepted

License Priority: None

License Count: Non-Counted

Index 2 Feature: ipbase         

Period left: Life time

License Type: Permanent

License State: Active, In Use

License Priority: Medium

License Count: Non-Counted

Index 3 Feature: lanbase        

Period left: 0  minute  0  second

If so, is there something I need to do aside from simply connecting up the stackwise ports?

Thank you in advance!

Firas

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

On the active stack, once you have connected the stacking cables,  remember to provision the X switch before you power it on :

!
switch 3 provision ws-c3750x-48p
!

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

@Leo Laohoo  @balaji.bandi  you were right, it did not work after all. I had to downgrade in order for the 3750X to function. Although it was initially part of the stack, none of its ports came up. Lesson learned

3 54    WS-C3750X-48P      15.0(2)SE11           C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M     

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0008.30a4.3580

H/W   Current

Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State 

----------------------------------------------------------

1       Member 0019.5691.8e00     1      0       Ready               

*2       Master 0008.30a4.3580     1      0       Ready               

3       Member f40f.1bc4.3e00     1      3       Ready     

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Hello

FYI- It depends on what type of 3750 you are running please review

3750 X 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes stacking possible as per your output -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swstack.html#wp1166403

If you adding new switch which is higher version is not possible.

basic Stacking rules, all device should be same version of code, So if possible degrade the new switch to same version of Live stack version or upgrade all of them to latest version.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

My WS-C3750G-48TS switches are already at the latest IOS, I cannot upgrade them further. The 3750X is also at the latest, but is there no other solution than downgrading it from 15.2(4)E10 to 15.0(2)SE11?

I read that stacks can exists with version mismatches.

read that stacks can exists with version mismatches.

where do you read this ? personally not aware that iyou can stack with different version, you can stack different License Like IP Service and other license.

you need to downgrade and stack it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi there,

You can mix platforms (E, G and X) together and also with differing software version, but they must be on the same major version.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15-0_1_se/configuration/guide/3750xcg/swstack.html#93665

So 15.0(2)SE11 would work with 15.2(4)E10

https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/resources/ios_nx_os_reference_guide#release_naming_ios

IMO, this mix of hardware, stackwise versions and software mismatch strikes me as a recipe for disaster....but let us know how it goes!

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks Seb, i will try everything as is first and if it doesn’t work I will downgrade the X.

Other than connecting the stacking cables together, is there anything I need to do or it’s all plug n play?

Hello
plagiarised from 3750X CCO

"mixed hardware and software stack with Catalyst 3750-X, Catalyst 3750-E, and Catalyst 3750 switches supporting different features as stack member

For example,

Catalyst 3750-X members running the IP services feature set
Catalyst 3750 members running the IP services software image."

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

On the active stack, once you have connected the stacking cables,  remember to provision the X switch before you power it on :

!
switch 3 provision ws-c3750x-48p
!

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks. I had to add the above after connecting up the switches to be able to configure switch 3.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First, you can mix and match, in the same stack, any 3750 (3750, 3750G, 3750E, 3750-X).  However, you can run into issues with SDM templates (those unique to the 3750G-12S), IOS feature sets or licenses (IPBase vs. IPServices) and/or IOS versions.

With mixed feature sets, you might fall back to a lessor feature set if the stack is running a better feature set, and the better stack member fails.  Also on the E/-X models, they might (?) require the same feature set on all stack members, but if they do, recall that doesn't apply to any original or G models in the same stack. (I know for certain you can mix feature sets using just the original and G models.)

When it comes to different IOS versions, the key to whether the stack will work properly is the version of the stack software, which is different from the IOS version and further doesn't always change with every IOS version.  See below.

If you find your stack software doesn't match, and you cannot upgrade your G models, then you would need to downgrade your E model.

Also, BTW, mixing the StackWise and StackWisePlus platforms, negates features of StackWisePlus, negates some other features (I recall) of those later platforms and also makes upgrading IOS on the stack more difficult.

Stack Protocol Version Compatibility

The stack protocol version has a major version number and a minor version number (for example 1.4, where 1 is the major version number and 4 is the minor version number).

Switches with the same Cisco IOS software version have the same stack protocol version. All features function properly across the stack. These switches with the same software version as the master immediately join the stack.

If an incompatibility exists, a system message describes the cause of the incompatibility on the specific stack members. The master sends the message to all members.

For more information, see the "Major Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches" procedure and the "Minor Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches" procedure.

Major Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with different Cisco IOS software versions likely have different stack protocol versions. Switches with different major version numbers are incompatible and cannot exist in the same stack.

Minor Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with the same major version number but with a different minor version number as the master are considered partially compatible. When connected to a stack, a partially compatible switch enters version-mismatch mode and cannot join the stack as a fully functioning member. The software detects the mismatched software and tries to upgrade (or downgrade) the switch in version-mismatch mode with the stack image or with a tar file image from the stack flash memory. The software uses the automatic upgrade (auto-upgrade) and the automatic advise (auto-advise) features.

FirasChahine
Level 1
Level 1

It seems like it worked! but like Seb and Joseph said, it does report a version mismatch.

3 0     WS-C3750X-48P      15.2(4)E10            C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M     

H/W   Current

3       Member f40f.1bc4.3e00     1      4       Version Mismatch  

Stack Ring Speed        : 32G

Stack Ring Configuration: Full

Stack Ring Protocol     : StackWise

As long as it works and all switches have the latest IOS, I am happy with the setup. I am only using this stack for inter-vlan routing and basic forwarding.

Thanks for all the help!

FirasChahine
Level 1
Level 1

It seems like it worked! but like Seb and Joseph said, it does report a version mismatch.

3 0     WS-C3750X-48P      15.2(4)E10            C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M     

H/W   Current

3       Member f40f.1bc4.3e00     1      4       Version Mismatch

Stack Ring Speed        : 32G

Stack Ring Configuration: Full

Stack Ring Protocol     : StackWise

As long as it works and all switches have the latest IOS, I am happy with the setup. I am only using this stack for inter-vlan routing and basic forwarding.

Thanks for all the help!

@FirasChahine wrote:
     1 52    WS-C3750G-48TS     15.0(2)SE11           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M     
*    2 52    WS-C3750G-48TS     15.0(2)SE11           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M     
     3 0     WS-C3750X-48P      15.2(4)E10            C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M     
 1       Member 0019.5691.8e00     1      0       Ready               
*2 Master 0008.30a4.3580 1 0 Ready 3 Member f40f.1bc4.3e00 1 4 Version Mismatch

Is it really working?  "Version Mismatch" means the switch may have not joined the stack completely because the two IOS versions are "incompatible".

No it did not, see my reply above

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card