cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot change cisco sg300-28 to layer 3 mode

edryanalburo1
Level 1
Level 1

it says that the cisco sg300-28 managed switch default system mode is Layer 2. but i want to change it to layer 3.

i have read the admin guides and googled it already but i can't get inside the "Console Interface Main Menu" where the switching from L2 to L3 will be done.

I have done the ff:

1. Upgraded firmware to 1.1.2.0 (latest)

2. Reset the switch to factory defaults.

3. The guide stated that in order to perform telnet to the switch, you need to enable it. So I logged in first in to the web GUI and enable telnet service.

4. I can now start telnet on the switch but I can't see the "Switch main menu".

All I can see are these lines from telnet:

User Name:cisco

Password:******

switchd5928c#

I just want to know how to get into the console interface main menu where these lines should appear so that i can change the system mode:

• System Configuration Menu

• Port Status

• Port Configuration

• System Mode

• Help

• Logout

Are there any commands from the telnet? or did i missed something?

Please help. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello!

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cisco%20sg300-28%20manual&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cisco.com%2Fen%2FUS%2Fdocs%2Fswitches%2Flan%2Fcsbms%2Fsf30x_sg30x%2Fadministration_guide%2F78-19308-01.pdf&ei=IlEqT43rD-v74QSxg62mDg&us...

STEP 5 Enter username/password. The default username and password is cisco/cisco.

STEP 6 Enter the command debug-mode, then press Enter, then enter the command

menu. The Login displays. Press Ctrl-R to refresh the Menu CLI Login or to jump

to the Menu CLI Login from any other window.

What if you type "menu" or hit ? to see what posibilities you have there.

Does it helps?

Cheers,

Calin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello!

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cisco%20sg300-28%20manual&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cisco.com%2Fen%2FUS%2Fdocs%2Fswitches%2Flan%2Fcsbms%2Fsf30x_sg30x%2Fadministration_guide%2F78-19308-01.pdf&ei=IlEqT43rD-v74QSxg62mDg&us...

STEP 5 Enter username/password. The default username and password is cisco/cisco.

STEP 6 Enter the command debug-mode, then press Enter, then enter the command

menu. The Login displays. Press Ctrl-R to refresh the Menu CLI Login or to jump

to the Menu CLI Login from any other window.

What if you type "menu" or hit ? to see what posibilities you have there.

Does it helps?

Cheers,

Calin

Hi,

Under the current firmware (1.1 release) these boxes support both "full CLI" and "menu-based CLI" (Cisco terminology). The telnet connection now defaults to full CLI. You can change the system mode via the "set system mode router" CLI command (ie. from your switchd5928c# prompt) provided you have not changed the "cisco" username privilege level. Just be aware that after changing the mode your startup configuration will be deleted and the system will reboot.

To switch to the Menu-based CLI configuration (ie. to get the Switch main menu) just type the "menu" command at your

switchd5928c# prompt.

Best regards,

Antonin

Even remember that, if you make a restore from configuration backup, the system mode is not restored.  So, set the correct system mode before any restore.

Fabrizio

www.rfc.it

Fabrizio www.rfc.it

m.loesberg
Level 4
Level 4

You can set the switch to layer-3 or layer-2 mode by typing the following command;

set system mode [router|switch]

You can type this command straight after logging into your switch (default username/password is cisco/cisco)

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco