Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot change vtp domain or create vlan - 2801 router

cinmachina
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty changing the VTP domain or creating a VLAN in one of the routers in my existing infrastructure. It is a Cisco 2801 running (C2801-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(3g), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2).

Long story short, I can type "show vtp status" and it will return:

VTP Version                     : 2
Configuration Revision          : 1
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 256
Number of existing VLANs        : 6
VTP Operating Mode              : Server
VTP Domain Name                 :
VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled
VTP V2 Mode                     : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation            : Enabled

That's fine, but when I go into 'config t --> vtp domain XXX' it returns: %unrecognized command.

If I type '?' after vtp in config t mode, I get:

file   Configure IFS filesystem file where VTP configuration is stored.

if-id  Configure interface as the preferred source for the VTP IP updater address.

Also, I cannot create a vlan interface.

Typing "int vlan xxx" in global config mode results in error.

Anyone got a clue what I'm missing here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Are you actually sure you need to create the VLANs at all? On routers, VLANs are created only if a switching module such as HWIC-4ESW or similar is used. If you just want to use 802.1Q VLANs on your built-in routed interfaces, you simply create subinterfaces and designate their VLAN ID using the encapsulation dot1q command without needing to create these VLANs.

Once again, using the VTP or the vlan database mode on routers is needed only if a switching module is installed in the router. Is this the case for you?

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

conmurph
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you able to go through "#vlan database" rather than configuration mode?

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

If you issue the show flash command is vlan.dat listed?

Are you able to change the mode from server to transparent and then try to create a VLAN?

sdheer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

In order to make changes to the vlan you would need to go to  " vlan database " mode from enable mode ,follwoing which you will be able to make changes to the vlan.

I tried creating interface vlan on 2801 in  my lab but couldnt do so.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Swati

Please rate helpful posts

c.doelhoffs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I wonder that you can configure VTP in a router. So  far as I know VTP is use to configure VLAN in switches.

Usually VLAN are configured in routers with the following commands

#vlan xx

#int vlan xx

To communicate with switches the interface port must be configure as TRUNK and the VLAN are "passed" as sub interfaces.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Christian

Sadly, none of these answers are correct yet.

Yes I can get into the vlan database and create a VLAN, HOWEVER, I cannot create a VLAN interface or change the VTP domain.

I can see show vtp status....but the normal commands don't work.

Is there anyone who knows? =)

Hello,

Are you actually sure you need to create the VLANs at all? On routers, VLANs are created only if a switching module such as HWIC-4ESW or similar is used. If you just want to use 802.1Q VLANs on your built-in routed interfaces, you simply create subinterfaces and designate their VLAN ID using the encapsulation dot1q command without needing to create these VLANs.

Once again, using the VTP or the vlan database mode on routers is needed only if a switching module is installed in the router. Is this the case for you?

Best regards,

Peter

Yeah I forgot about subinterfaces. Also, I joined it to a VTP domain by doing this:

config t

vlan database

vtp domain XXXXXX

exit

As you sort of mentioned above, with it's limited capabilities, I needed to actually be in vlan database mode to change the vtp properties.

Thank you Paul! =)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card