cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping hosts from switch (Catalyst 3650)

nttuan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have a network of two hosts, connecting to a Catalyst 3650 switch, which connect to outside network.

The two hosts can ping each other, have known IP address (172.16.11.x) and same subnet. However I am not able to ping the host from the switch. I cannot figured out why.

I am running IOS XE 3.0.7, have turned off firewalls.

2 Replies 2

Martin L
VIP
VIP

switch needs to have its interface Vlan x UP UP , vlan x must be in the same vlan as those PCs.  and usually have vlan x in the database.  

if the PC is on different subnet then switch interface vlan x is, then u need routing enabled somewhere and default gateway set on switch if it is layer 2 .  

if switch is layer 3, then it should have routing enabled and check for routes to /from destination subnet 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I assume that your switch has same VLAN and network are in same network, they can able to ping.

I believe your switch might have different Management IP address ?  Can you post the switch configuraiton.

what is that outside network device  here ? 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: