ANNOUNCEMENT - The community will be down for maintenace this Thursday August 13 from 12:00 AM PT to 02:00 AM PT. As a precaution save your work.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Catalyst 2950

hi ,

i have Catalyst 2950 24 port switch and i am trying to run it in my store. i have breif knowledge of configuring cisco swtiches but google was/ is my friend and i was able to reset and factory default the switch to the original state.

Now i have 21 Ethernet plugs across the store , but when i connect all 21 ethernet cable  none of them work. no blinking or green light what so ever on the switch , i have tried everything and when i connect any pc directly to the switch , it works but not from the main cables hub .

it's so frustrating and i don't know what to do.

i don't wanna hire anyone to fix it for me because i wanna learn as well.

i know the switch works fine , but there is something wrong between the cables inside the dry wall and the switch . it does not seem there is any connectivity. note i tried to plug some of these cables to Linksys wrt54g router and there is connection when i go plug number 1 in the showroom, but not when i plug that cable in the switch

please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Beginner

Re: Catalyst 2950

A crazy shot in the dark but it looks like 2950 doesn't support mdix. Could your cabling have a crossover somewhere?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Community Legend

Maybe the ports are either disabled or error-disabled.  Can you console into the switch?

Highlighted
Beginner

yes i can .

now if you can give me a basic setup configuration for the switch i dont need anything beside all 24 ports to work. i have a clothing company and i don't need a complicated network here
thanks for your answer

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Please check the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_configuration_examples_list.html

It has all you need to start working with your new switch

Franco

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi lordyrichie,

Did you get the Cisco 2950 to work?

Regards,

Elyinn.-

Highlighted
Beginner

well the switch itself i was able to configure to the best of my knowledge.i am still trying to make it work with the main cables hub

thx

Highlighted
Beginner

A crazy shot in the dark but it looks like 2950 doesn't support mdix. Could your cabling have a crossover somewhere?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Beginner

no there is not crossover

because the cable themselves work if i connect them to linksys wrt54g wireless router.

so either 2950 is faulty which im sure it's not or simply i am doing a good job configuring the switch correctly

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Hi,

Note that the Linksys router does have a "switch" inside, so it has the same wiring as the 2950 switch and has a different wiring than a regular PC or Server or Router. Therefore, could you try using a cable between the 2950 and the other devices which has a different wiring? E.g. if you're using straight now, try using a crossover.

For more details and explanations about the differences, please refer to the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps332/products_tech_note09186a0080094ce6.shtml

Best regards,

Andras

Highlighted
Beginner

well you were correct i discovered that the switch works only with crossover cables and the installed cables i have are straight cables .

and  since the mini linksys (workgroup ) switch i was testing supports crossover conversion (mdix) , i was able to get signal from 2950 .

i don't think catalyst 2950 support Auto mdix which is bad , so i guess i have to purchase short crossover cables or make them myself.

but hey at least i learned something new and you guys helped me alot thanks alot

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation and for giving us an update. The 2950 and Linksys router do not support auto-mdix unfortunately.

Please don't forget to rate posts which you found useful.

Best regards,

Andras

Content for Community-Ad