Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950

lordyrichie
Level 1
Level 1

hi ,

i have Catalyst 2950 24 port switch and i am trying to run it in my store. i have breif knowledge of configuring cisco swtiches but google was/ is my friend and i was able to reset and factory default the switch to the original state.

Now i have 21 Ethernet plugs across the store , but when i connect all 21 ethernet cable  none of them work. no blinking or green light what so ever on the switch , i have tried everything and when i connect any pc directly to the switch , it works but not from the main cables hub .

it's so frustrating and i don't know what to do.

i don't wanna hire anyone to fix it for me because i wanna learn as well.

i know the switch works fine , but there is something wrong between the cables inside the dry wall and the switch . it does not seem there is any connectivity. note i tried to plug some of these cables to Linksys wrt54g router and there is connection when i go plug number 1 in the showroom, but not when i plug that cable in the switch

please help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Keith Abbott
Level 1
Level 1

A crazy shot in the dark but it looks like 2950 doesn't support mdix. Could your cabling have a crossover somewhere?

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maybe the ports are either disabled or error-disabled.  Can you console into the switch?

yes i can .

now if you can give me a basic setup configuration for the switch i dont need anything beside all 24 ports to work. i have a clothing company and i don't need a complicated network here
thanks for your answer

fzamora
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please check the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_configuration_examples_list.html

It has all you need to start working with your new switch

Franco

esomarriba
Level 5
Level 5

Hi lordyrichie,

Did you get the Cisco 2950 to work?

Regards,

Elyinn.-

well the switch itself i was able to configure to the best of my knowledge.i am still trying to make it work with the main cables hub

thx

Keith Abbott
Level 1
Level 1

A crazy shot in the dark but it looks like 2950 doesn't support mdix. Could your cabling have a crossover somewhere?

no there is not crossover

because the cable themselves work if i connect them to linksys wrt54g wireless router.

so either 2950 is faulty which im sure it's not or simply i am doing a good job configuring the switch correctly

Hi,

Note that the Linksys router does have a "switch" inside, so it has the same wiring as the 2950 switch and has a different wiring than a regular PC or Server or Router. Therefore, could you try using a cable between the 2950 and the other devices which has a different wiring? E.g. if you're using straight now, try using a crossover.

For more details and explanations about the differences, please refer to the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps332/products_tech_note09186a0080094ce6.shtml

Best regards,

Andras

well you were correct i discovered that the switch works only with crossover cables and the installed cables i have are straight cables .

and  since the mini linksys (workgroup ) switch i was testing supports crossover conversion (mdix) , i was able to get signal from 2950 .

i don't think catalyst 2950 support Auto mdix which is bad , so i guess i have to purchase short crossover cables or make them myself.

but hey at least i learned something new and you guys helped me alot thanks alot

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation and for giving us an update. The 2950 and Linksys router do not support auto-mdix unfortunately.

Please don't forget to rate posts which you found useful.

Best regards,

Andras

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco