cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3850 switch not factory resetting after pressing mode button

mandb2412
Level 1
Level 1

My company was gifted a few Catalyst 2850 switches.  All, I want to do is perform a factory reset of these switches.  Before, anyone I asks I don't have any of the login passwords or any other login information for these switches.  I don't even know what ISO is installed.  I have pressed mode button and none of the expected behavior has occurred when doing a factory reset this way.  Is there any other way to do this?????  I noticed a reset button on the back of the switch will this button do anything?  I'm only going to spend a day on this and if the reset doesn't work, I going to chuck them into garbage.

11 Replies 11

Hello,

power down/power up the switch with the reset button pressed for >12 seconds...does the status LED change ?

sorry wrong response

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this 3850 switch or 2850 router ? Maybe password reset disabled? can you post a complete boot log connecting console?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I'm unable to do anything to this switch.  I pressed the reset multiple times and nothing happens.  I'm in the console window and it still has the old domain information. I just want to wipe it clean and start fresh out of a box.  Is there a way to wipe out a switch to factory defaults without knowing anything about the switch?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  1. Power down the switch. 
  2. Hold the Mode button. 
  3. Keep holding the button and apply power. 
  4. Keep holding down the Mode button for another 45 seconds and then release
  5. See if the console goes to ROMMON or not. 
  6. If in console, enter this command:  SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1
  7. Reload the switch (use the power cable). 
  8. Go to enable mode and enter the following command:  factory-reset all

WARNING:  This command will delete everything in the flash, including the IOS.

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed

mandb2412
Level 1
Level 1

The switch appears to be booting up going though the motions of interfaces are down and the process stops at switch 3: power supply B is not responding which makes sense since I only have one power plugged in.  I attached a few images of when the switch finally boots up.  I don't think, I'm explaining myself properly,  my company took possession of a building and within the IT rooms we found (10) of the Catalyst 3850 switches and we want to use them.  Can we wipe them without knowing any of the passwords?

You can't wipe them out without the password. I recommend first doing a password recovery on each switch and then you can "write erase" the config and start fresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7RI3xyveCo

HTH

Quick video showing how to do a password recovery on a Cisco 3850 switch. Depending on the version there are slight variances how to do it but this should cover most scenarios. And unlike the previous 3750 switches and older, there is a delay during the power up sequence you have to wait before ...

Thanks, for the help.  I have watch the video a few times and I'm not able to get to the following screen "The system has been interrupted prior....."  When the switch finishes booting up, I get to base Ethernet mac address screen but what's included is the motherboard serial number, and model information.  The IOS installed on the switch is: IOS Software [Denali], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9- M), Version 16.3.6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3).  Am I missing a step?

Hello,

what are the options at the:

switch:

prompt ?

switch: ?

Make sure you have a usb flash drive with the IOS for your switch use the following command when prompted switch:

boot usbflash0:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card