cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 stack - DC to DR failover?

gregzawad31369
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, came up with an odd design question that I'm struggling to wrap my brain around.  Client picked up a number of Cat9300s with Network Advantage to replace their "core" stack of 3750x's.  They are looking to spin up a DR site and would like to replicate their VMware hosts and switch stack at the failover site, were thinking of using the same Cat9300s at the DR.  

I know the Cat9ks don't support L2TP or OTV, would there be a feasible workaround to having DC Stack fail over remotely to DR Stack?  My first thought was to drop in an ISR4451-X to use OTV, but I'm wondering if something native to the Cat9ks (HSRP?) would be viable instead.

Additional info: they will not be deploying DNAC, and are not using a central management solution like Prime or others.  Juniper firewalls on the edge (no SDWAN) currently but are open to other suggestions. 

EDIT:  The Cat9300s have already been deployed at the first site.  They are not interested in going to Nexus if at all possible.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If the client has not purchase these switches yet, they may want to look at the Nexus 9200 or 9300 series. They are actually designed to be used in data center environments and for storage and VM connectivity.

HTH

Unfortunately that was what I was thinking, but they ruled out Nexus due to cost and C-level preference.  The Cat 9300s at the first site are already in place, the DR site will be going live Jan 2020.

Hi,

As there are certain limitations and I am not sure about any other solution or technology or protocol which can use with 9300 or Juniper also I am not sure that which license he has for the VMware. The VMware also giving DR site solution over the IPSec VPN using its ULDR router. Here is the guide (Page 53):

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/nsx/vmware-nsx-for-disaster-recovery-guide.pdf

Other options you have as If you will use 3rd party tools for disaster recovery (a correct word not remembring) and recovery management then you can go with DNS or Load balancer as well. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card