Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS350-16T-2G - Can't ping anther PC on VLAN1

I have a new CBS350-16T-2G, latest firmware, I'm a NOOB on managed switches.

From factory reset

I connect two PC's on the same subnet but can't ping between them.

VLAN1 is on 192.168.1.254, I've added this to the gateway of both machines, each can ping this gateway and view the GUI.

Why no ping PC to PC?

5 Replies 5

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

If your CBS350 switch is reset to the factory default settings, there isn’t anything in the switch that would block pings. All ports of the switch are in the same broadcast domain. Also, the gateway does not play any role if the PCs are in the same subnet. There must be some issue in the PC’s configuration. Maybe the PC’s firewall blocks receiving pings.

Kris K

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

From a factory reset you really shouldn't have to do much of anything other than confirm both PC's are configured correctly (i.e. no mistakes with subnet mask or something).  As @KJK99  suggested it's quite possible you might have something on the PC blocking.  You have confirmed link status everywhere right?  Not a physical issue?

Richard W. Pidcock

Thanks for your help on this. I set up a VLAN on subnet 192.168.0.0 which is my virgin media router and mapped this to three ports. I plugged it in together with my two machines. I set these to fixed IP 192.168.0.10 & 11/24 with a gateway of 192.168.0.1 (my VM router).

Both machines can ping each other and I can ping 8.8.8.8, both machines get internet, (I'm using 8.8.8.8 as DNS)

So the machines can see each other using my VM router as the gateway?

Could there be a problem with the hardware of my CBS350-16T-2G?

Firmware 3.2.1.1 upgraded to 3.3.0.16 

Not sure I'm following this problem correctly.  Your response above indicates the PC's can now ping each other.  If the PC's are in the same subnet it would just be switched traffic, no routing involved.

Richard W. Pidcock

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

I do not suspect any CBS350 hardware problem. Is the switch really in the factory default configuration? What's that VLAN? What's that port mapping? Are the PCs connected to the switch or the router? 

Kris K
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card