cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2509-RJ freezes during start-up

DOUGLAS DRURY
Level 1
Level 1

About 2 months ago I bought a Cisco 2509-RJ access server to work on my lab routers and was working fine. Today I turned it on and half way through starting up it seems to freeze. I can only find one instance of this happing to someone ells on a different forum but they never said how they fixed the problem. Below is the console output I get. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c)XB1, PLATFORM SPECIFIC RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1997 by cisco Systems

2500 processor with 2048 Kbytes of main memory

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 12.0 may not be correctly understood.

F3: 6925148+97496+555308 at 0x3000060

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is

subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph

(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted

Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph

(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer

Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.

170 West Tasman Drive

San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.0(5)T,  RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 23-Jul-99 03:14 by kpma

Image text-base: 0x03039754, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco AS2509-RJ (68030) processor (revision K) with 2048K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 25180772, with hardware revision 00000000

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

1 Serial network interface(s)

8 terminal line(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

00:00:05: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up

00:00:05: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to down

00:00:30: %SYS-5-CONFIG: Configured from  by

00:00:34: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to administratively down

00:00:34: %SYS-5-CONFIG: Configured from  by

00:00:34: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

00:00:35: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to down

00:00:35: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.0(5)T,  RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 23-Jul-99 03:14 by kpma

00:00:35: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial0, changed state to administratively down

00:00:36: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state to down

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Douglas,

This is quite strange. I wonder - have you tried to let the router boot without any configuration and see if a clean boot helps? You can do it by entering the ROMMON  by hitting combination several times during the first 60 seconds of router bootup, and then by entering the following commands:

o/r 0x2142

i

This will make your router boot while ignoring the saved configuration. If this help then there is some problem in your configuration that makes the router (apparently) lock up upon boot.

Please note that the configuration register will stay set to 0x2142 until you change it back to 0x2102 which is the default value. Until then, the router will ignore the startup-config during its boot.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Douglas,

This is quite strange. I wonder - have you tried to let the router boot without any configuration and see if a clean boot helps? You can do it by entering the ROMMON  by hitting combination several times during the first 60 seconds of router bootup, and then by entering the following commands:

o/r 0x2142

i

This will make your router boot while ignoring the saved configuration. If this help then there is some problem in your configuration that makes the router (apparently) lock up upon boot.

Please note that the configuration register will stay set to 0x2142 until you change it back to 0x2102 which is the default value. Until then, the router will ignore the startup-config during its boot.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I've already tried Ctrl Break but i can't seem to get the router in to ROMMON mode. I've also tried Fn Break and Ctrl B on my keyboard. 

Thanks

Douglas

Hi Douglas,

What terminal emulator are you using? Perhaps it has a separate function called "Send a Break" or similar that you can activate through a menu or something and that will send the break sequence without you actually hitting any keys.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi peter

Putty on windows and Serial port terminal on Ubuntu both work fine with my other cisco devices.  I tried to "Send a Break"  via the menu option but still doesn't enter ROMMON mode. 

Thanks

Douglas

Hi Douglas,

Did this device worked with the same config earlier?

cisco AS2509-RJ (68030) processor (revision K) with 2048K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 25180772, with hardware revision 00000000

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

1 Serial network interface(s)

8 terminal line(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

I hope you need to have 8MB DRAM to run properly

Memory Requirements

Table 1   Cisco 2500 Series Default Memory and Upgrade Options

Memory Type Cisco 2500 Series Defaults Upgrade Options

Flash memory

8 MB

4-MB upgrade: MEM-1X4F=
8-MB upgrade: MEM-1X8F=

DRAM

8 MB

4-MB upgrade: MEM-1X4D=
8-MB upgrade: MEM-1X8D=
16-MB upgrade: MEM-1X16D=

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1830/prod_release_note09186a008008108b.html#14703

Please try to reseat the flash card, then reboot this box, check the performance. if nothing resolve, i thing you need to replace it.

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Hi Aru

It was working fine up untill 2 days ago with no errors.  But i turned it on yesterday and now i'm haveing the above problem.  I've reseated the memory and still the same error. 

Thanks

Douglas

Douglas,

Thanks for the update. It seems to me as if the router was actually not receiving any data from your PC. It does not hear the break sequence and it does not accept any commands after it boots up.

Can you try double-checking your console cable and both the COM port at your PC and the CON port on the router if there are any bent or broken pins? The router->PC direction seems to be working fine but the PC->router direction apparently loses data somewhere.

Let's hope your console port is not fried

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I've managed to fix the problem now.  Since my PC and Linux boxes where not able to send a Break, I managed to find a 3rd PC and it seemed to work on that one.  Once i got in to ROMMON mode i wiped the startup config and started from scratch and it seems to be working fine now, must have been a missconfiguration on my part.  Thank you very much for your help Peter

Thanks

Douglas

Hey Douglas,

Don't mention it - I was happy to try to help - and you solved it yourself. I, at most, hinted in the apparently correct direction.

Take care!

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card