Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 Standby SUP2 boot issue - Urgent

littlespace
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I reboot my 6509 after 400+ days and after reboot I got an error massage on console that Standby SUP2 (Redundant SUP2) can not find IOS on the Disk0: on PCMCIA card and the standby SUP is not booting up. the switch is up and running right now by Active SUP. Also I tried to take the PCMCIA out and put it back in 2-3 times but it did not work for Standby SUP.

right now Stanby SUP keep  tring to find the IOS on PCMCIA.

Could you please let me know how can I boot the standby SUP up and running? I have 128MB PCMCIA card on both SUP2 modules.

Can I change the PCMCIA card on the standby module with a 64MB card? how can I format my new PCMCIA card and how can I copy my IOS in to the new PCMCIA?

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes, you can change the PCMCIA card on the stabdby supervisor. You can choose to store the Cisco IOS Software image, depends on the Supervisor Engine flash device capacity and image size.

By default, the sup2 will be having 32MB on board flash and 16/24/64MB Removable flash

Please see the supported Flash on Supervisor engine 2
MEM-C6K-FLC16M(=)
MEM-C6K-FLC24M(=)
MEM-C6K-FLC64M(=)
MEM-C6K-ATA-1-64M(=)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/6507_01.html

Procedure to upgrade the bootflash on Sup 2 from 16 MB to 32 MB

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/78_14703.html#wp36615

Since the standby sup 2 doesnt detect the IOS from disk0: you can upgrade the flash card on standby supervisor.

You might need to format the PC cards if it has never been used before or if it was formatted with the Cisco IOS Software algorithm. Issue the format slot0: command or the format slot1: command or both commands in order to format PC cards on a Supervisor Engine 1, 1A or 2.

Note:
You can free up space as necessary on the flash devices. Issue the delete bootflash: command or the delete slot0:filename command in order to delete the file. Then, issue the squeeze bootflash: or squeeze slot0: command in order to erase all deleted files from the device

1. Remove the working flash card from the active supervisor and this doesnt disturb any performance of Active supervisor
2. Install the new flash card on Active supervisor
3. Format and delete the existing file from the flash cards
4. Issue the squeeze slot0: command in order to erase all deleted files from the device
5. Copy the IOS image from to flash #copy tftp slot0: command in order to download the image to the PC card in slot0
6. Check the dir slot0: to verify the IOS after copied into flash
7. Then install this new flash into stanby supervisor.

Note: Please verify the boot variable

Router#show bootvar
BOOT variable = sup-slot0:c6msfc2-jsv-mz.121-19.E1a,1

If the boot variable is configured incorrectly, change the boot variable

Router#configure terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#boot system flash slot0:c6sup22-js-mz.121-19.E1a
Router(config)#

Save the changes

Router#write memory
Building configuration...
[OK]
Router#

Verify if the configuration register is set to 0x2102. If not, update the configuration register to the correct value of 0x2102.

Router#show bootvar
BOOT variable = slot0:c6sup22-js-mz.121-19.E1a,1
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-19.E1a
Configuration register is 0x2102
Standby is not up.

Reload the switch.

Router#reload
Proceed with reload? [confirm]

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml#conv_msfc_2

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes, you can change the PCMCIA card on the stabdby supervisor. You can choose to store the Cisco IOS Software image, depends on the Supervisor Engine flash device capacity and image size.

By default, the sup2 will be having 32MB on board flash and 16/24/64MB Removable flash

Please see the supported Flash on Supervisor engine 2
MEM-C6K-FLC16M(=)
MEM-C6K-FLC24M(=)
MEM-C6K-FLC64M(=)
MEM-C6K-ATA-1-64M(=)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/6507_01.html

Procedure to upgrade the bootflash on Sup 2 from 16 MB to 32 MB

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/78_14703.html#wp36615

Since the standby sup 2 doesnt detect the IOS from disk0: you can upgrade the flash card on standby supervisor.

You might need to format the PC cards if it has never been used before or if it was formatted with the Cisco IOS Software algorithm. Issue the format slot0: command or the format slot1: command or both commands in order to format PC cards on a Supervisor Engine 1, 1A or 2.

Note:
You can free up space as necessary on the flash devices. Issue the delete bootflash: command or the delete slot0:filename command in order to delete the file. Then, issue the squeeze bootflash: or squeeze slot0: command in order to erase all deleted files from the device

1. Remove the working flash card from the active supervisor and this doesnt disturb any performance of Active supervisor
2. Install the new flash card on Active supervisor
3. Format and delete the existing file from the flash cards
4. Issue the squeeze slot0: command in order to erase all deleted files from the device
5. Copy the IOS image from to flash #copy tftp slot0: command in order to download the image to the PC card in slot0
6. Check the dir slot0: to verify the IOS after copied into flash
7. Then install this new flash into stanby supervisor.

Note: Please verify the boot variable

Router#show bootvar
BOOT variable = sup-slot0:c6msfc2-jsv-mz.121-19.E1a,1

If the boot variable is configured incorrectly, change the boot variable

Router#configure terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#boot system flash slot0:c6sup22-js-mz.121-19.E1a
Router(config)#

Save the changes

Router#write memory
Building configuration...
[OK]
Router#

Verify if the configuration register is set to 0x2102. If not, update the configuration register to the correct value of 0x2102.

Router#show bootvar
BOOT variable = slot0:c6sup22-js-mz.121-19.E1a,1
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-19.E1a
Configuration register is 0x2102
Standby is not up.

Reload the switch.

Router#reload
Proceed with reload? [confirm]

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml#conv_msfc_2

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Hi Aru,

Thanks for the reply. I did it without even restart the switch or the Standby SUP! I chnaged both PCMCIA on the switch with 2 brand new PCMCIA. format 2 new PCMCIA on Active SUP and then tftp the same IOS to the PCMCIA cards.

It is working fine righ now!

Thank you so much for your help.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card