Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3560 not boot

rjmontenegro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have a Cisco Switch 3560 and not boot. The Leds: SYST, RPS, STAT, Duplx, Speed, PoE (all Leds) are always green and the POST test not run. With a serial cable connect, don't output everything for putty.

IOS: Version 12.2(35)SE5

Model: WS-C3560-24PS-S

Any ideas?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Do you see the router reloading and going through its post - if not you need to establish a hyperterminal session

using a console cable and the console port .

If you can see the router  reloading where does is stop?

rommon>

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

Hi,

Try to console to switch choosing different bits per second settings other than 9600,

If you fail again then please power off the switch and hold Mode button of the switch(left side of the front panel) and then power ON and then release the mode button after few seconds and now see if you can get console messages.

issue a Cntrl+Break if required and let us know what you get...........switch: or rommon prompt.

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

manju.cisco
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

You mean to say the switch is not booting up and the POST doesnt run ? At what point the booting stops?

Does POST displays any failure messages on console port ??

Please console to your switch and provide us copy of console messages thats you see, that would be much appreciated to get better clarify and right way to fix this.

Regards,

Manjunath

Hi Manjunath. Thanks for your reply.

The switch power-up but display all leds in green and the POST not run. If the POST fail, the leds would stay amber. The normal sequence of POST (visible in leds and copper ports) are not visible after power the switch.  

I connect the console port but any messages are sent for console. Not past here messages because the console are blank and the leds are all green!

Thanks

Hi,

Do you see the router reloading and going through its post - if not you need to establish a hyperterminal session

using a console cable and the console port .

If you can see the router  reloading where does is stop?

rommon>

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maybe your BAUD rate is set wrong on either side. 

rjmontenegro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul. I put the correct answer by mistake.

After power the switch, the only thing visible is the all green LED. If connect a network cable, i have no signal and green LEDs remain green.

I connect the console with the folling settings:

Speed: 9600

Data Bits: 8

Stop Bits: 1

Paraity: None

Flow Control: None

but any message aren't send to the console!

Thanks

rjmontenegro
Level 1
Level 1

to better understand, the picture attached. the router boots and is thus not sending any information to the console!

Hi,

Please check your console cable if possible use a new one.
Ans select the correct com port (COM1 / COM6)

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Hi Naidu. Thanks for your reply.

only COM1 is active in computer, others are disable. The console cable is new and o tested with others.

thanks

Hi,

Try to console to switch choosing different bits per second settings other than 9600,

If you fail again then please power off the switch and hold Mode button of the switch(left side of the front panel) and then power ON and then release the mode button after few seconds and now see if you can get console messages.

issue a Cntrl+Break if required and let us know what you get...........switch: or rommon prompt.

Hi Manjunath.

Tried with varius bits per second (all the hyperterminal) with and without mode released at power on but the any messages are sent to console!

Thanks.

Can you please elaborate us what was done on the switch before you reboot ?

If its a small changes pls write that too.,

Hi Manjunath.

Before power on the switch, i connect the console cable and open the putty for view the output. Turn on the switch but any message are sent by console and the leds are green, as the image above.

The output would be something like:

"C2960 Boot Loader (C2960-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(25r)FX, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

Cisco WS-C2960-24TT (RC32300) processor (revision C0) with 21039K bytes of memory."

but nor the Boot Loader start! no messages are sent to console!

Thanks

Hi,  is your console cable connected to your pc via a usb connection or old directly attached to your pcs  comm port?

Hi Chris.

my cable is directly (new and cisco)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card