Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Spanning-tree portfast in cisco 2960x series

b.souf
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Brothers,

I want to migrate an old switch 2960 to a stack switch 2960 x Series, but I faced an issue, for example:

-->The port G1/0/12 of the OLD Switch configured like this: 

Switch-old(conf)# interface g1/0/12

Switch-old(conf-inter)# spanning-tree portfast ?

disable         Disable portfastfor for this interface

edge            Enable portfast on the interface even in trunk mode

<cr>  

-->But when I want to apply the same command on the new stack switch I found this choice below, as I see I can't execute it directly:

Switch-new(conf)# interface g1/0/12

Switch-new(conf-inter)# spanning-tree portfast ?

edge            Enable portfast edge on the interface

network        Enable portfast network on the interface

How can I configure the portfast on the new switch by which choices? Your advice, please.

Thanks in advance

7 Replies 7

Hello,

the 'network' option is used when you connect trunk ports. For end devices, like PCs, use the 'edge' option.

Below a somewhat more comprehensive explanation:

--> portfast edge is used to configure a port on which an end device is connected, such as a PC. All ports directly connected to end devices cannot create bridging loops in the network. Therefore, the edge port directly transitions to the forwarding state, and skips the listening and learning stages. However, the specific command configures a port such that if it receives a BPDU, it immediately loses its edge port status and becomes a normal spanning-tree port.
--> portfast network is used on trunk ports to enable bridge assurance feature which protects against loops by detecting unidirectional links in the STP topology. But normally bridge assurance is enabled by default.

Thank you @Georg Pauwen,

ok,

In my case, for example, I want to connect switch 2960 port G1/0/12 with a Router, which option can I use?

Switch-new(conf)# interface g1/0/12

Switch-new(conf-inter)# spanning-tree portfast ?

edge            Enable portfast edge on the interface

network        Enable portfast network on the interface

Hello,

use spanning-tree portfast network' for your trunk port connecting to the router. I assume you will be using dot1q subinterfaces on the router ?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

spanning-tree portfast edge is the config for you- where end device PC or phone connected

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

@b.souf wrote:

Dear Brothers,

How can I configure the portfast on the new switch by which choices? Your advice, please.

int x/x
switchport host

Which will put the port into an adminstrative mde of access and enable portfast

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

In which IOS release is that command available on the 2960x ? Couldn't find it anywhere...

Hello

Ill be suppirised if it isnt, switchport host has been around for a while and it works on all 2960x we have in production.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card