cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Conversion to VSS

dvlewis
Level 1
Level 1

We will be converting two 6500s to VSS. Each chassis has a Sup2T module, fwsm, 6908-10G blade, wism1 blades and two or three 6748-SFP blades.

I was wondering how long the conversion process takes?  If I remember correctly at the 2012 networkers lab it took maybe 10 minutes while using Sup720s.  The instructor mentioned that with Sup2Ts it would convert a lot faster.  An real world numbers out there?

Thanks.

Don

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Kosich
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Don,

I don't think we have any documentation that speaks to the amount of time it will take, because it's going to vary from one implementation to another-- based on number of linecards, if diagnostics are set to complete vs minimal, and the length of the config.

From experience though,  the 10 minutes Reza mentioned should be more than enough time for it to complete (chassis boot, bring up the VSL, completes diangostics, etc)

Dave

Cisco TAC

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

After you convert them, you need to reboot them.  With all the cards and service modules you have, the boot time is about 10 minutes.

HTH

David Kosich
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Don,

I don't think we have any documentation that speaks to the amount of time it will take, because it's going to vary from one implementation to another-- based on number of linecards, if diagnostics are set to complete vs minimal, and the length of the config.

From experience though,  the 10 minutes Reza mentioned should be more than enough time for it to complete (chassis boot, bring up the VSL, completes diangostics, etc)

Dave

Cisco TAC

graham smart
Level 1
Level 1

Ive converted a few  and the above are about right.

Your looking at the normal boot time + a bit more for VSL etc.

Line cards can take some time to fully come online so you are looking at around 10 to 15 minutes ( Assuming you have no oddities / problems after the reload..)

Things to check..

- Ensure you have your spanning tree in good order.

- Make sure you have your SUP to SUP vsl and a couple of dual active detection links on the line cards setup.

Once its up and running, Convert your switch uplinks to MEC's as soon as possible to avoid any loops and odd spanning tree problems.

-Graham
Please note: My comments are simply suggestions. I cannot be held liable for any loss of data, life or marbles due to following my instructions.

Got a website? Need some live chat software?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: