Helpful
Replies

Endpoint not responding to pings but gateway does

Ed Roche
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon All

I have a weird issue.

We setup new VLANs, the correct setup should be a data vlan, a voice, and a private vlan with iso. Our gateways for the data and voice are on our MX device and the gateway for the private vlan is on our switch since private vlan is not supported on the MX. From my desktop I can ping all 3 gateways, device on the data and voice vlans, but nothing on the private vlan. The device on the private vlan are getting their IPs from DHCP and are registering in ARP and MAC tables. I can ping the private vlan devices from the switch just not from the MX or anywhere else. First thought it was routing but if that was the case I wouldn't be able to ping the gateway. I even move the private vlan back to just an access vlan thinking maybe it was something with IOS version private VLANing but that gives the same results. We currently have 6 other locations working just fine with same exact config as this problem one.

I am totally stumped on what this could be. Any help or guidance would be much appriciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Ed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ed Roche
Level 1
Level 1

So to close out this post....the answer was we didn't have IP ROUTING set on the switch. These switches were setup years before I joined the team and I didn't think about this originally because I always set this when configuring a new switch so assumed it was already set. Thanks for all the responses.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Ed Roche 

Check if the endpoint has a Firewall and/or advanced endpoint protection that somehow dropping your traffic.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Hi @Ruben Cocheno 

Good thought but these are printers and specialty device/systems. None are responding.

Ed

99% of this issue is because misconfig mask in 

1- gateway 

2- in dhcp server or dhcp local pool

3- in static IP device 

So check mask 

MHM

Hi @MHM Cisco World 

The gateway is /24, DHCP scope is /24, and the static devices are /24 as well. I just went and confirmed.

Ed Roche
Level 1
Level 1

So to close out this post....the answer was we didn't have IP ROUTING set on the switch. These switches were setup years before I joined the team and I didn't think about this originally because I always set this when configuring a new switch so assumed it was already set. Thanks for all the responses.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card