Views
Helpful
Replies

Extended Fast Software Upgrade on Catalyst 9300 Platform

chong.eric
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

According to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/216837-extended-fast-software-upgrade-on-cataly.html , for stacked, the active switch and standby switch are upgraded separately. The standby and the member switch are upgraded/reloaded first. The active switch is upgraded/reloaded after standby and members have restarted and resumed their functionality. The routing protocol sessions are maintained through the existing active/standby HA architecture.

Sounds like with extended fast software upgrade, there will no downtime during the upgrade.  Has anyone done extended fast software upgrade on Catalyst 9300 stack switches?  Please share the experience.

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have tried last 2 weeks back, not got as expected results mentioned in the document - I am going to try 17.6 next 2 weeks and lt you know.

17.3.3 still same 10-15min reload time, may be I tried quick to fix issue, later I try (in free switches in the Lab)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

Thanks.  Waif for your update

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@chong.eric wrote:

Sounds like with extended fast software upgrade, there will no downtime during the upgrade.

If, and only IF, everything goes as "advertised".  But what happens if it does not?  

A few weeks ago, we "tried" to use a new feature called "reload fast" but the stack master crashed instead.  

Spoiler
If, and only IF, everything goes as "advertised".  But what happens if it does not?  

Interesting and agreed ..If only If.......

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Leo,

That is very disappointing result.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card