cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HELP! 2800 series router password recovery?

kyle.seiber
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am pretty much brand new to these bigger routers so im not entirely sure what I am doing ha.  But your answers would be greatly appreciated.  So I have a cisco 2800 router that I need to log in to, the problem is we dont know the password.  I have tried BOTH procedures to reseting it a few times over and nothing sticks.  Ive also tried multiple telnet applications,  HyperTerm and Putty.  Any suggestions guys?

Thanks alot!!

12 Replies 12

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

Follow the procedure mentioned in this link :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml

You will need console connectivity with this.

Manish

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yea I was on the page earlier, that's what a meant when I said I have tried both procedures.  I went to the password recovery page for the 2800 and tried both solutions there and still nothing.

Hello,

When you say you tried both methods, where you able to get into ROMMON mode? If you were not ble to get into ROMMON mode (nothing on the console), then you might have to try different baud rates to see if the console speed is changed. Common values are 19200, 115200, and 57600. Once you connect to the console and are able to see messages on the console, then try either of the procedures and see if that helps.

Regards,

NT

Sorry guys i should have been more explanitory.  Yes i was able to get into the console and into rommon mode.  I followed both recovery

solutions from the official cisco page down to a T, or so i think lol.  I have been able to do the final step, I believe it was the "write memory" or "copy run config start config" step.  After i completed that i wasn't sure what to do.  So i just power cycled the router and would try to log in with the new password i thought i had set, but to no avail.

OK. I think what is happening is when you copy your old configuration to the running configuration, it is over-writing your new password. Please try the following after step 15:

username cisco priv 15 password cisco

line vty 0 4

no password

login local

exit

enable secret cisco123

Once this is done, complete step 16. Now try telnetting into the router and use the username/password pair above.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Given that followed the procedure 1 as mentioned that link , at what part it doesn't work for you?  Please provide more details on it.

Manish

kyle.seiber
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry guys i should have been more  explanitory.  Yes i was able to get into the console and into rommon  mode.  I followed both recovery

solutions from the official cisco  page down to a T, or so i think lol.  I have been able to do the final  step, I believe it was the "write memory" or "copy run config start  config" step.  After i completed that i wasn't sure what to do.  So i  just power cycled the router and would try to log in with the new  password i thought i had set, but to no avail.

Hi  Kyle,

1.  Power off the router;

2.  Eject the CF;

3.  Power on the router;

4.  In ROMmon, enter the command "confreg 0x2142";

5.  Insert the CF;

6.  Reboot the router using the command "boot";

7.  Go to enable mode and then configuration mode and change the registry settings to "config-registry 0x2102";

8.  Change the password and save the config using the command "write"; and finally

9.  Reload the router.

This is a parfect solution bigup, I tried so many solutions but none of them worked, thanks you saved my day

kyle.seiber
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried that method 3 times or so, I believe it was procedure 2 on the recovery page.  But maybe im just doing some minor thing wrong. When you say reload the router at the end you just mean to turn it off and then back on yes?

When you say reload the router at the end you just mean to turn it off and then back on yes?

Yes.  You can do that too or issue the command "reload".

Can can you also post the entire process that you are doing?  I want to see or catch any error messages that might appear to know what is going wrong.

Hi i think that your problem is after

you  change the config to 0x2142 and then you are reloading the router

the router is up white the prompt router>

then you need to get in enable mode and do copy startup config running

and do show run and change or delete all the password on the config and save(wr)  after you do this steps go to config mode and change back the configure-register 0x2102 and reload the router

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card