Views
Helpful
Replies

Host with 50-100% ping loss?

jahnathan1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have a host on a LAN that is dropping 50-100% of ping packets and I cannot at present find out why?

Can anyone suggest anything that I have may overlooked?

The setup; The host's IP address is dropping some but not all pings, yet when the hosts IP address is changed to another in the subnet, all is well and I am getting 100% on the ping.

I have disabled the firewall so it is not that.

Any light on this shady situation would be great.

Regards,

Nathan.

Oxford.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Are you pinging from the faulty host ? This sounds like you may have two hosts with the same IP address. So if you ping from the host and the receiving machine has the host's correct mac to IP address mapping it will work. But if the receiving machine has an entry for a different host with the same IP address then the traffic will not get sent back to your host.

Check the arp table on the receiving host to see what mac address it thinks maps to the IP address.

HTH

Jon

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Speed/duplex mismatches between the switchport and the user nic card settings.. IT is usually either this or a physical layer problem .

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your assigning IP Address statically to the problem host? Is there a DHCP in the network that the problem IP Address is on its range or some rogue DHCP server?

Hi all,

Firstly thank you all for your help.

The issue is now resolved, though it is unclear what was the cause of the packet loss.

Maybe a switching problem, its being monitored.

I setup a packet sniffer on the access switch that the server was connecting to and transfered the server to another port so I could observe the arp process.

It worked fine and the machine is in its original gigabit port working happily.

THANKS AGAIN.

Nathan.

Network Tech.

Oxford University.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card