cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How configure a NXOS7 Device to receive an IP address from DHCP

Waterbird
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to configure a device in my topology to have a dynamic IP.

The device a Nexus Titanium, which I assume is similar to or the same as a NXOS7.

I'm totally unfamiliar with configuring Nexus devices, but trying to learn the basics.

So far I have not configured the device in any way except to give it a hostname and I configured the interface connecting the device to the neighboring switch in the topology as follows:

interface Ethernet2/1
switchport
switchport mode trunk
no shutdown

I'm now trying to give the device a dynamic IP address as a next step.

I tried to create a dynamic IP on the management interface, and also tried creating loopback interface, but neither of these interfaces have something like an ip dhcp command available, unlike IOS which I'm familiar with.

Can anyone assist me in getting my device to be able to receive an IP address from my DHCP server in the topology?

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I would not advise to do that, let switch have a static-ip in order to avoid race conditions when offering network services.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most of the deployment of nexus device in DC environment, and always suggest to rely on Static IP config due to other many reasons, and avoid DHCP here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card