Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure catalyst switchport for cisco ap

Hi,

I am wondering how should I configure the cisco catalyst switchport that connects access point, so that access point would work the best it could?

I am using cisco catalyt 2960 series of switch and have two access points - 1240 and 1130.

It happend to me twice when all clients on WLAN had trouble accessing network resources.

Rebooting of AP didn't help, after removing ap from switchport and getting it back they worked again.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Dusan,

Basically below cases can be identified in deploying a Wireless solution using IOS APs.

Case 1:

Newly created Wireless VLAN and all clients and APs go in that VLAN.

• New VLAN needs to be in setup on the Switch port where the AP connects using switchport access vlan XXX command
  • Inter-VLAN routing for the newly created VLAN so traffic flow through other VLANs and the new VLAN for wireless making it possible for wireless clients to access network resources
  • DHCP Scopes for the new VLAN as well as IP Helper Address setup so DHCP requests from the wireless clients go to the right DHCP server (this is if you have separate DHCP servers than AP)

Case 2:

More than one VLAN is setup on the AP and different WLANs are setup in the AP for those VLANs where wireless clients connects

• Switch port where the AP connects has to be setup as a trunk port allowing all of the required VLANs to flow through to the AP. This can be achieved through switchport mode trunk and trunk allowed vlan commands on the switchport
  • Inter-VLAN routing for all newly created VLANs (Assumption that all existing VLANs already have inter-VLANS routing setup)
  • Appropriate DHCP scopes as well as IP Helper setup of VLANs

Furthermore below Cisco article might be useful to check your switch and AP configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

If you are having issues with slow connectivity and drop-outs might be worthwhile also checking if all hardware is compatible with each other. Wireless band as well as client wireless cards.

Cheers

Lal Antony

http://www.lalantony.com

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Karel Vins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

do you have more than one WLAN on that APs? What is your current switch port config?

Regards,

Karel V.

We have only one WLAN on AP.

There is no configuration on the switchport for AP - switch default

There could be some message in log on switch which could give you an answer. Try show logging.

You can try this config:

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

Regards,

Karel V.

Is it an IOS AP or Lightweight AP?

Although in your setup you just need the static switchport access command on the port connecting to AP's. With leightwight AP i.e with WLC, AP's donot understand the tagging, so you can safely connect it to any switchport and configure it to a static switchport vlan setting. All dot1q tagging is being handled by the WLC.

If its an IOS AP, you might configure the switchport as Trunk since it needs to pass traffic for all the VLANS.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Can you be a bit more specific as to what problems the clients were actaully experiencing?

It may not necessarily be AP related since you mentioned rebooting the AP did not fix the problem.

Maybe if you had to disconnect / connect the AP's then there is a loose connection to the switch or faulty cable?

Were there any errors on the switchports that the AP are connected to?

There could also for example be a problem with the Windows servers if they are autheticating the clients. Alternatively there could be problems with the DHCP servers.

Please remember to rate all posts that are helpful.

@Karel

I have placed command - switchport mode access

But I have read that command - spanning-tree portfast should be placed only on single host/server not on switch.

As Access Point has similiar role as switch - should it really be used??

@Amit

It is IOS AP.

And for now it only uses VLAN 1. In future it will also use only one VLAN, but other VLAN ID.

Should I use trunk on port with Access Point, if it will use only one VLAN that would be other then VLAN with other hosts?

@Sean

I think that Cisco switchport "bugged" at that moment.

Clients had incredibly bad reception and speed was also really really bad.

I thought the problem was with AP. Rebooted it - but the problem was still there.

Than I thought maybe problem was in AC adapter. Changed the AC adapter - but the problem was still there.

Last step was to remove the AP from the switchport, and get it back - and the problem was solved..

All the wireless clients had regular steady connection with normal speed.

I doubt the problem was with the cable, because the uppermentioned step fixed the problem.

I didn't check for any errors on the switch when the AP didn't work as it should. I knew I had to do this - but at that moment I wasn't aware of that.

I also doubt that the problem is with the DHCP, because we also at the time when AP wasn't working gave the wireless clients static IP and the problem was still there..

@Dusan,

Basically below cases can be identified in deploying a Wireless solution using IOS APs.

Case 1:

Newly created Wireless VLAN and all clients and APs go in that VLAN.

• New VLAN needs to be in setup on the Switch port where the AP connects using switchport access vlan XXX command
  • Inter-VLAN routing for the newly created VLAN so traffic flow through other VLANs and the new VLAN for wireless making it possible for wireless clients to access network resources
  • DHCP Scopes for the new VLAN as well as IP Helper Address setup so DHCP requests from the wireless clients go to the right DHCP server (this is if you have separate DHCP servers than AP)

Case 2:

More than one VLAN is setup on the AP and different WLANs are setup in the AP for those VLANs where wireless clients connects

• Switch port where the AP connects has to be setup as a trunk port allowing all of the required VLANs to flow through to the AP. This can be achieved through switchport mode trunk and trunk allowed vlan commands on the switchport
  • Inter-VLAN routing for all newly created VLANs (Assumption that all existing VLANs already have inter-VLANS routing setup)
  • Appropriate DHCP scopes as well as IP Helper setup of VLANs

Furthermore below Cisco article might be useful to check your switch and AP configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

If you are having issues with slow connectivity and drop-outs might be worthwhile also checking if all hardware is compatible with each other. Wireless band as well as client wireless cards.

Cheers

Lal Antony

http://www.lalantony.com

Thanks a lot Antony!

Very thorough explanation!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card