Views
Helpful
Replies

How to view logs from Cisco 2960 in CLI

fred2k3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My Cisco 2960 switch encountered issues over the weekend causing 2 of the ports to go into  Err-disable mode.  

I have managed to rectify the problem, however I want to know if it's possible to view logs from the CLI to try and figure out what caused this.

I don't have any external logging servers setup, and I'm not even sure if it stores logs internally on the switch itself, and if so how long for.

Does anyone know if this is possible - and if so what are the commands I need to run from Telnet to access them please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>I don't have any external logging servers setup, and I'm not even sure if it stores logs internally on the switch itself, and if so how long for.

- It would be strongly advisable to have this in place (logging to a syslog server). On the switch you can use show logging , but you cannot go all the way back in time. A syslog server offers more flexibility on this.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>I don't have any external logging servers setup, and I'm not even sure if it stores logs internally on the switch itself, and if so how long for.

- It would be strongly advisable to have this in place (logging to a syslog server). On the switch you can use show logging , but you cannot go all the way back in time. A syslog server offers more flexibility on this.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Show logging is not a CLI command.

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can increase the log buffer size on the switch as a future precaution, but @marce1000 suggestion is the best regards to logging.

Whilst the switchport is still err-disabled, the command sh int status err-disabled will give some greater insight into particular reason.

cheers,

Seb.

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For diagnoatic puropses you add the "logging console" command in your comfig and do no logging console to turn off again

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card