Views
Helpful
Replies

Install a C3KX-NM-10G module

varundhanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can any please confirm the C3KX-NM-10G module is hot-swappable.i have checked the cisco's website and it says "

Although network modules are hot-swappable, we recommend installing a network module before powering the switch"

What steps i need to follow to install the module?

Thanks

Varun

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Varun,

Yes, The SFP+ itself is hot swapable.  You don't need to power down the switch.  The best way to test it is to get a fiber patch cord and connected it to another switch and see if the port comes up.  Make sure the patch cord matches your SFP+

SM patch cord with SM SFP+ and MM patch cord with MM SFP+

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You should turn off the switch then install the card.  When installing it, make sure the bracket on the side of the module fits correctly and it is inserted all the way.

HTH

Thank you for confirming this.

I can understand erring on the side of caution, but I have swapped 4 of these out from the 1g modules wile running in production, and I have had no problems. The OS recognized the 1 gig port being removed and then back up again and passed traffic without a hiccup.

If you have no reason to have the switch powered up during the replacement, then don't, but if is going to cause a problem to bring it down for 5 minutes then feel free to hot swap. Just be careful as mentioned by others.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

varundhanda
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Reza.

is the SFP+ transceiver hot-swappable or do i need to power off the switch again?

is there a command to check if the network module is UP and running

Cheers

Varun

Varun,

Yes, The SFP+ itself is hot swapable.  You don't need to power down the switch.  The best way to test it is to get a fiber patch cord and connected it to another switch and see if the port comes up.  Make sure the patch cord matches your SFP+

SM patch cord with SM SFP+ and MM patch cord with MM SFP+

HTH

People seem to be mixing up the OP's q.
It was whether the NM (network module) is hot swappable, some answers are saying the SFPs are hot-swappable - that is a different matter.

I don't know the answer but I want to find the answer myself.

CCO has 2 different answers ; one in switch documentation, one in module documentation.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/hardware/installation/guide/3750x_3560x_HIG/HIGOVERV.html

the switch install guide says:-

"The switch supports one hot-swappable network module that provides uplink ports to connect to other devices. You must insert the network module during switch operation. Operating the switch without a network module is not supported. A blank module is available. "and

"The network module is hot-swappable. If you remove a module, replace it with another network module. "

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/hardware/install/notes/net_mod_note.html#wp129080

the network module doc says :-

"Although network modules are hot-swappable, we recommend installing a network module before powering the switch. "and as above

"The network module is hot-swappable. If you remove a module, replace it with another network module. "

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card