Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 DNS lookup instead of IPv4

OrkhanRustamli
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

I have 9500 series Switches which is facing the firewall and plays the DNS Proxy role for clients and everything is perfect. What is the problem I want to renew license with CSSM and therefore it needs to contact tools.cisco.com. I have tested and the switch has ip connectivity to internet, ping works. But the problem is when I try to telnet tools.cisco.com 443 I see that it tries to contact IPv6 address. I tested several other domain names and all are the same with IPv6. I have disabled IPv6 unicast-routing globally, but it does not help.

telnet tools.cisco.com 443
Trying 2001:420:1201:5::A, 443 ...
% Destination unreachable; gateway or host down

Any help is appreciated.

8 Replies 8

MatsR
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you solve this?

I have this excact same issue on a C1100 router

BR

Mats

Hi,

First try configuring this: "call-home/http resolve-hostname ipv4-first", clear your DNS cache and see if it works now; if still not, try rebooting; if still not, hardcode the IPv4 address in the call-home URL (instead of the name), get the job done and raise a TAC case.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

M@rco
Level 1
Level 1

set "no ipv6 enable" on the DNS-facing interface

That doesn't work!

Did anybody work out the answer to this?

Looks like there's an answer here: https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/disable-aaaa-dns-lookups-on-non-ipv6-router/td-p/3413517

- Disable ipv6 on all interfaces.

Hello,

not sure if you already posted this in another thread ? I cannot reach the site at all...I wonder if the site is up...

Seems to work for me:

TEST#ping tools.cisco.com
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 72.163.4.38, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 112/113/116 ms

Hello,

ping works, but nothing else. I cannot reach the site on any port...

Works for me - maybe a local ACL/firewall problem.

TEST#telnet tools.cisco.com 443 /ipv4
Trying tools.cisco.com (173.37.145.8, 443)... Open

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card