cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 switch (cisco) connecting to two PCS in the same subnet/Vlan but cant ping each other

abdulkromah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a c2960-s switch. I connected two PCs assigned with static IP: 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, respectively. they all are in the default VLAN, but they can not ping each other. I 'write erase' the switch but yet the same. sometimes if I connect other pc, it will ping another, for example, 192.168.1.3 may ping 192.168.1.4, but 192.168.1.4 will not ping 192.168.1.3.

Any help will be well appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hello,
Could you check windows firewall on machines? disable it for test.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hello,
Could you check windows firewall on machines? disable it for test.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Thank you, bro.  It works like Wow!!!! Thanks very much for the insight.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As suggested other post, check the client side FW.

post the below output from Switch :

show version

show run

show ip arp

show ip route

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I agree with the previous posts that most likely the issue is firewall on one or both PC are preventing ping. If original poster can confirm that it is not an issue about firewall then we must look for some other explanation. I would suggest these steps:

- check the configuration of interfaces on both PC to verify that address and mask are correct.

- check the switch to be sure that both switch ports show as up and connected.

- check the configuration of the switch to verify that both PC are in the same vlan and that there is no security type policy that might impact the PC traffic.

- check the arp table on each PC and verify that each PC has learned the IP and mac address of the other PC (and that the IP address and mac are the correct ones).

Checking the arp table and the IP routing table on the switch may be interesting but would not relate to this problem since the original post specified that the switch is a layer 2 switch and so the arp table and the routing table have to do with the switch management access but not with how the switch forwards traffic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: