Views
Helpful
Replies

line console command

vishalpatil86
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

cant we just use line console command instead of using line console 0 command?

i mean is there any point of using line console 0? can we use more than one console? if yes how?

10 Replies 10

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Vishal,

The use of "line console 0" command is to connect a switch/router through medium console. If there is only one console port, you can only choose "line console 0". However if you have more than the number goes as 1,2,3,4 ... You can set different or same password to all your console ports.

Please rate the helpful posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

means you are saying switch or router can have more than one console port?

my understanding is line console 0 means i can connect one laptop to switch/router.  1,2,3,4 console means i can connect 1,2,3,4 laptops. is it rite?

Dear Vishal 

on switch  we are having only one console ports ,so we are starting it with 0(zero) that is console 0 .If we have more than one then we can have console 1 option.

Hi,

I have tried all kinds of switches and I did not find any switch with more than one console port, now how I knew what I use line console 0 and when I'll use line console 1, 2, 3 whatever cuz I cannot understand the difference between them

I believe that it would help if we think about the various parameters in the command one at a time:

1) line. This parameter specifies that we will be configuring some type of access port. Note that there can be multiple types of access ports including console, aux, and vty. The line command requires 2 additional parameters.

2) console. This parameter specifies that we will be configuring access via the console port.

3) 0. This parameter specifies which (if there are alternatives) port we will be configuring. Since there is physically only a single console port we always use 0 for the console and the parameter is almost superfluous. But the line command requires 2 additional parameters be input and we must use something here. This parameter is essential if we are configuring the vty and trivial if we are configuring the console. 

HTH

Rick

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To connect through console medium, you use the "line console 0" command. The  first two word represents the actual code whereas the last part  represents the console port.

However, since there is only one console port, we use line console 0.

Cheers

Sweta

Please rate useful posts.

grahamhyland
Level 1
Level 1

You would use line console 1 or line console 2 if you had a terminal server connected to you switches

In IOS there is only "" line consol 0 "" option so how come we use line consol 1,2,3 if we have a terminal server option.

i agree wid taimur, we have only 0 console option.

line console o mean connect one laptop to another router/switch with secure platforms medium.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card