Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LOGIN to CATALYST 2960+ via PUTTY

Hi there,

I have been trying to login to the catalyst. But as I select the com port, the 9600 baud rate etc, I then get a series of never ending messages lines "...native vlan mismatch discovered...etc...etc" and other ones as per attached images.

Every time I tried to enter hostname/password etc (when at prompt "SW48>") it would just default to keep going with the above messages or get an 'inavlid input detected'...

Is this the right way to login or I am missing something? Also this messages are keeping coming up never ending... possible some how to stop it and have a summary of it?

Only once the messaged momentarily stopped and showed "SW48 con0 is now available" "press return to get started"...

Thanks for any suggestions on successful login and best handling of messages above.

all the best

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you are experiencing is the behavior of the console port when lots of syslog messages are being generated and displayed on the console. While it is confusing to you, the switch is able to process both the output of messages and processing of input at the same time. After you connect try to ignore the output of the console, when you hit enter it should result in a prompt for userID (you may not see the prompt) so just type the username, hit enter (there should be a prompt for password which you may not see) so type the password and hit enter.

After you are able to login and make config changes you might consider changing the severity level of console logging, which could reduce the volume of messages to the console (or you might even disable logging to the console).

HTH

Rick

you must match the native vlan for this SW with other SW connect to it. 
it not putty issue it VLAN mismatch issue 

The original post says " I select the com port, the 9600 baud rate etc" so clearly this is a connection to the console port. How does native vlan impact connection to the console?

HTH

Rick

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

you need to quick enough to type >enable and password that should give you access to device # (but the Logs still keep you hammered on the console)

to minimised that one you need to fix that VLAN mismatch on the trunk config

you can fix by login to switch using SSH ? do you have access ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes that why I ask you in previous post if you face issue with Kerio
simple solution 
check the native vlan in SW 
and never use native vlan in link between SW and Kerio why ?
because cisco send untag frmae for native vlan but ohter vendor send tag for native vlan. 
this make mismatch in SW. 

or you can use 
vlan dot1q tag native  <<- this command force cisco SW to tag native vlan 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card