cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback IP address a.b.c.0 (0 on last octet)

mario_kmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have been doing some IP address planning and whould like the following:

10.24.X.0/24 for some networks

10.24.255.X/32 for the loopbacks of the gateway switch/routers

The networks will start from 10.24.0.0/24 so the first loopback would be 10.24.255.0/32. I did some GNS3 testing and all worked fine. Can I use this 0 (zero) on the last octet with no problem? Is there any case where this can create problems?

I intend to user EIGRP dynamic routing.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can not use the network address for an interface.  It has to be a host address

So for example you can assign 10.24.255.1/32 to the first router  and 10.24.255.2/32 to the second router and so on.....

HTH

Hello,

I do not agree. You can use use it as any other only-one-host network (.1/32 .2/32 so on). IOS accepts the command

without problem. EIGRP is a classful protocol and it supports VLSM subnets. So, there are no issues to use it in

Loopback interfaces.

Anyway, Could you explain the Loopback address' purposes?

Hi Antonio,

I believe youmeant classless and not classful.

I'll use the loopback address to reach and manage the switch/routers as they'll have 2/3 L3 links to them. The loopbacks will also be advertised dynamically.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Mario,

you are right I mean "classless routing protocol". I have used addresses .0 for example in a NAT pool (customers

used a .0 address to go to internet) without problem during 2 years. If you use it to management addresses

I think threre are no issues.

@sjuneay I think you mean "ip subnet-zero" command.

Regards

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for sharing this. It's always good to hear (read) from other's experience. I will actually implement it and hopefully won't get any problems since our devices are all very new.

Sjuneau,

The router is already running classless and allowind subnet-zero yes

sjuneau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you use the command ip classless?  This command works in a router to tell it that the subnets that you define do not follow the different classes of ip address. A class being x.0.0.0 for example 10.0.0.0, B class x.x.0.0, etc.

I did this on routers using eigrp.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card