cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maintaining stack configuration

spj2019
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I've found many useful bits of info in the forum, but still need more. I've ' 'inherited' a switch stack composed of two 2960 cisco switches. This configuration will be replicated within a series of branch offices and represents a 'standard' branch configuration. I noticed that the stack configuration is basically the default one, with both switches having priority 1. In the rack, switch one goes on top and switch two is placed below. If I backup the config file and load it up on a new stack of switches, how can I guarantee that switch 1 will always be the one on top? Does the master election impact on the numbering of the individual switches? I need to provide a connection scheme for the people who will be setting up the rack with the network components, the servers and their cabling. All advice and pointers are appreciated. Thanks, spj

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on how old the current IOS is backing up a the config file from the existing stack to the new one may not work as expected because there are different commands that maybe supported on the old stack IOS but not on the new one or vise versa. So, what I recommend is to build the new stack and make the top switch your master by giving it a higher priority of 10 and let the bottom switch at default (1). Once the stack is completely ready, start copy and paste one section at a time from the old system to the new one and correct commands as you go. Make sure to label the switches so, people who deploy them know what switch needs be at the top. Now, you can document your cabling, power, rack assignment, etc..

HTH

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't know if I misled you somehow, but there is no old IOS involved because all the hw/sw is the same, to be replicated with the configuration we prepared in HQ. Ideally someone will go out to the site with a laptop, connect to the switch via console, configure an Ip, upload the config and reboot. I'd like to understand whether it's possible or not and identify posible problems. 

Hi, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you are upgrading to new switches.  Anyway, since the existing priorities are the same (1), it is hard to tell if the new stack will be the same if you just copy and paste the existing config into the new hardware. Have a look at this link and look under "stack master election".  

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/71925-cat3750-create-switch-stks.html

So, a couple options, you can copy and paste the current config into notepad and make the priority change to the config (make the master 10 or anything higher than 1) and send the config. The other option would be to just send the config as is and change the priority later when someone is onsite.

HTH

Thanks, there was plenty of useful info on the linked page.  Unfortunately it seems like the master election has no influence on the assignment of member numbers which determine the interface numbering sequence. That is what I'm trying to control, not the master election. I want to make sure that 'int gigabitethernet 1/0/1' winds up on the top switch.

Thanks, there was plenty of useful info on the linked page.  Unfortunately it seems like the master election has no influence on the assignment of member numbers which determine the interface numbering sequence. That is what I'm trying to control, not the master election. I want to make sure that 'int gigabitethernet 1/0/1' winds up on the top switch.

ASAK there is no way to set this up before hand.
If they gets numbered in the wrong order you have to do a renumbering.

Renumbering didn't look easy from what I recall even though I only have two switches. I'll have to look at that again. It just might be better to have someone configure the member information first and then upload the configuration file. We should try it in the lab beforehand just to make sure it works.... ;) 

Thanks for your help! spj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card