Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki Stack - add member

hoanghiep
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a Meraki stack of 5 switches and now we want to add 1 more to the stack (same switch model). I just want to ask if we will need a reboot of the existing 5 switches when adding the new one? We are using physical stack. And are the steps listed below correct?

1. Connect new switch to network and have it online on Meraki dashboard.

2. Add the new switch to the stack (from Switch --> Stack menu)

3. Shutdown new switch.

4. Connect stack cables to new switch.

5. Turn on the new switch.

Meraki document only provides a very high level description of adding new switch to stack (step 2 above), so I need your sharing of experience here.

Thanks,

hoanghiep.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

you don't have to do anything with the old/existing stack members. You do not have to reboot them when adding a new member to the stack.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

the link below has videos and detailed descriptions for adding stack members. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks

Hello Georg,

I had read thru the document in the link you sent. However, "Manage Member" section is not as detailed as other sections. So I was just trying to list the detailed steps. My concern is if we have to reboot the old member switches when adding a new member to stack.

Thanks,

hoanghiep

Hello,

you don't have to do anything with the old/existing stack members. You do not have to reboot them when adding a new member to the stack.

Hi George,

Thanks for your quick reply.

So the steps listed in my first post are correct.

1. Connect new switch to network and have it online on Meraki dashboard.

2. Add the new switch to the stack (from Switch --> Stack menu)

3. Shutdown new switch.

4. Connect stack cables to new switch, unplug uplink cable from new switch.

5. Turn on the new switch.

Thanks,

hoanghiep.

Similar situation where I need to add a new switch to an existing stack.

I'm curious if unplugging the stack cables one at a time to the existing bottom member from the top member and plugging into the new switch will cause any type of outage.

Hello
You will need to:

1. claim the new switch in the dashboard, and wait for its firmware to get upgraded to the same version as the existing stack members
  2. Power down the new switch
  3. Add the new switch to the existing stack via the dashboard
  4. Lastly physically connect the new switch to the stack making sure you close off the port stack ring then power the new switch up.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

There should not be outage, make sure the new switch downloaded firmware and configuration before you connect it to stack (I made a mistake connecting the additional switch too soon which led to an outage)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: