cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Model number: WS-C3524-XL-EN

mgalla3327
Level 1
Level 1

Could someone let me know the latest OS release for this Model number: WS-C3524-XL-EN switch. I currently am running Version 12.0(5)WC17

The reason is, I'm having some issues installing some HP PC's connected to this switch. The nic card on the HP flaps up and down, disconnects/reconnects continuously. The only way I get it to stop is to bring down the speed on NIC or the switch port to 10mbs.

If I add a nic card and disable the system board nic all is well.

The HP rep says that Cisco has a patch for this unit.

Does anyone know of a recent patch or what the latest OS is for this switch?

Or maybe someone has ran into this issue before and can shed some light on it for me.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

14 Replies 14

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Did you replace patch cables?

The cable has been replaced from the PC to the wall jack but I do not believe from the Patch Panel to the Switch

I would try replacing all patch cables.

Also, when you connect something other than this HP machine, do you run into some issues?

What we're doing is rolling out new HP PCs. When we put back the original pc all is well. When we add a nic card to the pc all is well. We have several hundred of these to replace and so far we've tested around 5-10 and they are all giving the same results. We are seeing this on other switches ( same model ) and obviously different ports.

Ah, it's obviously not a cabling issue. I'll look around to see if I can find a solution.

This is the latest I found on Cisco's site:

C3500 IOS IMAGE

c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin

Release Date: 10/Apr/2007

C3500 IOS IMAGE

Size: 1769.10 KB (1811552 bytes)

Minimum Memory: DRAM:8 MB Flash:4 MB

And I think this is what you currently have.

Yes.

That is the version currently on the switches. Thanks for the input. Please let me know if you come up with anything else.

I don't think Cisco will release any more versions. You might wanna try going to a previous version and see if that solves the issue.

Hi Matt,

Just out of interest, does the link stay up if you hardcode both the switchport and the HP nic to 100/Full?

Kevin

No Kevin. If I hard code both ends at 100 it still disconnects.

Here's how it works so far...

Nic 10FD - Switch Auto

Nic 10FD - Switch 10FD speed 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've seen this error back in 2007.

Cisco 3500XL IOS WC17 is the last IOS due to End-of-Support.

Your link between the switch to the PC's NIC (10/100/1000BaseTx) would flap (you'll probably get errors such as "interface x/x flapping x times per minute" or something). And when the users log out, the switch will auto-negotiate to 10/half.

I came to the same solution as you: force the speed and duplex settings (100/Full Duplex) of the PC's NIC and the switch and everything should be fine.

The cause is the Intel NIC firmware in regards to auto-negotiation (jitter). This flaw is documented in the release document but Cisco says it's only affecting the PWR version. If you are ordering alot of units, you may demand that HP ship you with Broadcom chips.

I had a Cisco Senior Sales Engineer verify and confirm my findings.

This fault is not evident on the 2900XL nor on the "smarter" switches such as the 2940/2950/2955 & 3550 onwards.

I've tested various version WC versions and came up with the same result. You may want to try with the Provisional Version IOS, the XU.

Hope this helps your issue.

This is the line:

"A Catalyst 3524-PWR XL switch does not work correctly with some Intel Pro/1000 MT network interface cards (NICs). This is an Intel product defect. There is no workaround. (CSCec00968)"

Hello,

The switch ws-c3524-XL with c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin not support the command dot1x?

I ask that because i´m unable to write this command:

aaa authentication dot1x default group radius

and enable 802.1X authentication on the interface with this command:

dot1x port-control auto

Any suggestion please?

Regards

Hi Carlos,

3500XL does not support 802.1x regardless of IOS versions you've loaded.

The 2960, 3560, 3750 series of switches support 802.1x.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: