cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Native VLAN on a Cisco 3640

Matt Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

Am I correct in assuming that all ports (interfaces) on this router that don't belong to another VLAN automatically belong to VLAN1? I have assigned VLAN1 an ip add of 192.168.1.14/24 for management via telnet but can't ping it from another computer on the same subnet. Interfaces FA0/0 through 0/4 are all up. What do I need to do to get this working? The IOS is 12(3)8T IP Plus.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Right you are correct in your assumption , those would be routed ports only.  The 16-esw is really like a separate switch .  You should be able to do vtp  from that switchcard to other switches I believe .

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/network-modules/82156-ether-switch-nm-config.html#step2

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

hdussa
Level 1
Level 1

Out of the box all interfaces belong to VLAN 1.

What is your default-gateway configured on the Switch and PC.

Thanks hdussa, that's what I thought. The pc has its default gateway set to 192.168.1.1 (my ADSL router) and there isn't one set on the switch. I originally had FA0/0 (on the 3640) set to 192.168.1.14/24 which I could ping from my pc. I did a "no ip address" to this port to remove it and reassingned it to VLAN1.

(config) # int vlan 1

(config-if) # ip add 192.168.1.14 255.255.255.0

I was able to ping that ip address on the router when it was assigned to FA0/0 but not now it is assigned to VLAN 1. The ether cable is still plugged into FA0/0 and has been all along.

on the switch:

conf t

ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

end

Hi hdussa, Hi coconutdog

you don't need to use your default gateway to ping another device in the same subnet.

i think that if you have previously config your fa0/0 with an ip address, this interface became a routed port. i think you need to set this interface with the command "switchport" and set it to access.

can you post your config?

hi

Andrea

Unless you have an installed hwic switchcard installed on the 3640 you cannot use SVI's for routing , those would be all routed ports on the 3640.The commands may be there but unless you have a switchcard installed in the 3640 it won't do anything.Do you have an installed switchcard?

Glen, I have an NM-16ESW installed along with an NM-1FE2W-V2 and an NM-2E2W. After a bit of mucking around last night I was able to ping the interfaces on the NM-16ESW (I have 2x NICs in my comp, one on 192.168.1.0/24 and the other on 10.0.10.0/24. After disabling the 10.0.10.0/24 NIC it came good and was able to ping and VLAN1 came up.)

I can now sort of see where you are coming from. So the NM-1FE2W-V2 and the NM-2E2W are purely routed (L3) ports and can't get assigned to a VLAN?

Another sort of related question: Can VTP be implemeted on the 3640 so it gets its VLAN info from the switches by using the VTP domain? Or does the router have to be manually set up (synched)?

There is so much to know.

Right you are correct in your assumption , those would be routed ports only.  The 16-esw is really like a separate switch .  You should be able to do vtp  from that switchcard to other switches I believe .

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/network-modules/82156-ether-switch-nm-config.html#step2

Thanks for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card