Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with C1300 switch

Jagan1976
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I was sold a C1300-8T-E-2G as a next replacement for C1000.

However, to my horror, it is not running the normal IOS. Some commands are similar but the rest is a challenge to get it done.  
Anyone had worked with this model before and able to help with AAA config for TACACS+ with ISE, and SSH vty access?

Any help is appreciated. Read the manual but looks like not that friendly.

Why the did they need to change it like this? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jackdobiash
Level 1
Level 1

I too ran into the issue of expecting an IOS switch and got this SBE type switch.   Basically what I did was use the GUI to try and configure everything as I wanted first, then compared the default config to the updated one to see what needed to be done via CLI for future devices.  Enabling SSH access is 'ip ssh server', but there are also commands to connect it to your preferred authentication method.   Here is ours which is still using RADIUS (some are variable strings for our generating script):

radius-server host $(RadiusIP1) key $($RadiusKey) priority 1
radius-server host $(RadiusIP2) key $($RadiusKey) priority 2
radius-server host source-interface vlan $(RadiusVlan)
radius-server timeout 5
radius-server deadtime 3
aaa authentication login SSH radius local
aaa authentication enable SSH radius enable
aaa authentication login Console radius local
aaa authentication enable Console radius enable
aaa authentication login default radius local
line ssh
   login authentication SSH
   enable authentication SSH
exit
line console
   login authentication Console
   enable authentication Console
exit
ip ssh server

The 'Index' for the CLI guide is a good place to skim through and see what commands are available (same one Deepak posted) - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/campus-lan-switches-access/Catalyst-1200-and-1300-Switches/cli/C1300-cli/C1300-cli_CLT_chapter.html

As for the specs, at least based on what they posted on the website, it seems to have similar capability compared to the C1000.  I wasn't *too* concerned about it as I'm usually just placing these in closets to connect a building here and there.  Of course the big advantage is that it's significantly cheaper than the C9200CX model (which is pretty much the only true 'Catalyst' model that's compact) and doesn't require DNA licensing either, just like the C1000.      

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- As far as finding out installed OS parameters is needed ; issue the command : show version

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

It is not IOS and a open source OS:

v4.0.0.91 / RLSB4.0_950_778_036

Active-image: flash://system/images/image1.bin
Version: 4.0.0.91
MD5 Digest: 5e834beda25a2dd18c3b
Date: 14-Mar-2023
Time: 05:36:46
Inactive-image: flash://system/images/_image1.bin
Version: 4.0.0.91
MD5 Digest: 5e834beda25a2dd18c3b
Date: 14-Mar-2023
Time: 05:36:46

- I don't know where that comes from     ; have a dir flash: command (if available) to check if there are any
    regular cisco images available or else download and install official software again from :
                 https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286330917/type/286332468/release/4.1.4.1

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Nope this is not regular Cisco IOS. I have configured many 4500, 9400, 9500 and 9300 series.

The CLI commands are not similar eithe on this based on the documentation. Why Cisco did this I have no clue. Very frustrating,

-  Consider my previous reply on how to get the standard os fon the device from Cisco's downloads site, 

M.

No, this does not or able to run standard OS. If you go to the downloads page, it is a different image altogether.

Anyone else worked with this model?

- These devices do not run standars IOS but a modified and summarized linux version. Of course the image name as offered at Cisco downloads is always correct. It seems that someone booted his own linux on it . For installing the official software as provided go to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/Catalyst-switches/kmgmt3621-upgrade-firmware-catalyst1200-1300.html

M.

Hello @Jagan1976 ,

Catalyst 1300 is linux based and they have a web  GUI below the link to the Admin Guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/campus-lan-switches-access/Catalyst-1200-and-1300-Switches/Admin-Guide/catalyst-1300-admin-guide/get-to-know-your-switch.html

Be aware that they likely have a subset of enterprise IOS XE switch features and different default settings.

For example IGMP snooping is not enabled by default.

The GUI has two modes basic and advanced mode.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, 

This is not a normal Cat switch like the C1000 0r C9200 series. All commands are similar to the SBC series. Below configuration guide will help you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/campus-lan-switches-access/Catalyst-1200-and-1300-Switches/cli/C1300-cli.html

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Catalyst 1200/1300 does not run on "classic" IOS like the Catalyst 1000, 2960, 3560/3750.  Nor does it run on IOS-XE either. 

Catalyst 1200/1300 runs on a "hybrid" Linux and more aligned to the CBS/SMB switches.  Think of the 1200/1300 as an CBS/SMB switches that got "promoted" to the Catalyst for sales purposes only and nothing else.  1200/1300 does not come even close to a Catalyst 1000 in functionality, performance and capability. 

Hi Leo,

For direct replacement of C1000-8P-2G-L, this is what Cisco site recommended. I wonder why they did that then. Check this site:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-1000-series-switches/catalyst-1000-series-switches-eol.html

@Jagvella wrote:
I wonder why they did that then. Check this site:

It is no secret Cisco wants to "sunset" classic IOS.  The last holdouts are the micro-switches, IE 4000 and Catalyst 1000.  

jackdobiash
Level 1
Level 1

I too ran into the issue of expecting an IOS switch and got this SBE type switch.   Basically what I did was use the GUI to try and configure everything as I wanted first, then compared the default config to the updated one to see what needed to be done via CLI for future devices.  Enabling SSH access is 'ip ssh server', but there are also commands to connect it to your preferred authentication method.   Here is ours which is still using RADIUS (some are variable strings for our generating script):

radius-server host $(RadiusIP1) key $($RadiusKey) priority 1
radius-server host $(RadiusIP2) key $($RadiusKey) priority 2
radius-server host source-interface vlan $(RadiusVlan)
radius-server timeout 5
radius-server deadtime 3
aaa authentication login SSH radius local
aaa authentication enable SSH radius enable
aaa authentication login Console radius local
aaa authentication enable Console radius enable
aaa authentication login default radius local
line ssh
   login authentication SSH
   enable authentication SSH
exit
line console
   login authentication Console
   enable authentication Console
exit
ip ssh server

The 'Index' for the CLI guide is a good place to skim through and see what commands are available (same one Deepak posted) - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/campus-lan-switches-access/Catalyst-1200-and-1300-Switches/cli/C1300-cli/C1300-cli_CLT_chapter.html

As for the specs, at least based on what they posted on the website, it seems to have similar capability compared to the C1000.  I wasn't *too* concerned about it as I'm usually just placing these in closets to connect a building here and there.  Of course the big advantage is that it's significantly cheaper than the C9200CX model (which is pretty much the only true 'Catalyst' model that's compact) and doesn't require DNA licensing either, just like the C1000.      

Yes this is what I eventually did. It is working now. As someone here said before, many settings are on/off by default. So do take care.

For example, SNMP did not work until the service is turned on in "TCP/UDP" section.

Will I buy this switch model again? No.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card