cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9k switch remote access

war202994
Level 1
Level 1

HI I have a pair of 9k switches running both layer 3 and 2, we are low on ports so I am trying to introduce another

9k switch but only as a pure layer 2 switch.  I have an existing vlan that I will us trunk/port chnnels to connect the 

new switch to the existing 2.  I also configured a loopback address as well, I can see the trunk ports, port channel

and ethernet ports are up.  I can ping both the vlan and loopback on the new switch.  I can also see that it is learning

mac addresses from the existing switch but the issue is I cannot get to it remotely. I see we cannot put in a default gateway

or at least didn't find the command.  What am I doing wrong? Is there a document that I can follow to show me this?

Thank you in advance!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ok so issue resolved so here is what happened, ended up creating a separate management vlan, I was trying to use the existing one 

New Switch layer2                                                                                        Existing Switch layer2/3 

vlan 2020                                                                                                      vlan 2020

ip address 172.20.10.36/28                                                                          ip address 172.20.10.35/28

Trunk port

10.10.10.1    -Eth1/45--------------------------------Eth1/45-----     10.10..10.2

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 172.20.10.35                                                                    router bgp 65466

address-family ipv4 unicast

network 172.20.10.32/28

once all this was done I was able to get to the switch remotely 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to add default route 

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 x.x.x.x 

if you using mgmt0 interfaces, which are configured under VRF 'management' you will need to configure the following

vrf context management

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 x.x.x.x

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I am no using the mgmt0 interface just using a vlan, I already have a default route

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.10.10.2

and to get to the loopback address on the layer 3 switch that this is attached to 

I have a static routing pointing back to the interface

ip route 172.20.8.5/32 10.10.10.1

but I still cannot get to the switch remotely   I notice when I do a sh ip route it says

IP Route Table for VRF "default"

do I need to do anything to the vlan??

Thank you sir

Hello,

the fastest way to resolve this is for you to post the full running configurations of both switches. Whatever IP address you have configured on the layer 2 switch, it needs to have a corresponding IP address in the same subnet on the layer 3 switch.

HI George 

I can't post it publicly due to company policy is it ok if I can send to you directly?

Not sure if this helps but the connection goes like this

New switch added as pure layer 2                                                           Existing switch using both Layer 2 and 3

LAYER 2 using default VRF                                                                        Layer 3 using default VRF 

vlan 2018                                       trunk port                                            vlan2018

10.10.10.1    -Eth1/45-----------------------------Eth1/45-----     10.10..10.2

loopback1                                              

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.10.10.2                                                                   ip route 172.20.8.5/32 10.10.10.1

ok so issue resolved so here is what happened, ended up creating a separate management vlan, I was trying to use the existing one 

New Switch layer2                                                                                        Existing Switch layer2/3 

vlan 2020                                                                                                      vlan 2020

ip address 172.20.10.36/28                                                                          ip address 172.20.10.35/28

Trunk port

10.10.10.1    -Eth1/45--------------------------------Eth1/45-----     10.10..10.2

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 172.20.10.35                                                                    router bgp 65466

address-family ipv4 unicast

network 172.20.10.32/28

once all this was done I was able to get to the switch remotely 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: