cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Cisco 2948-ge-tx and Internet traffic

Tshi M
Level 5
Level 5

I have a Cisco 2948-GE-TX that is connected to a PIX525 which is connected to the Internet. I am able to ping outside address (i.e. 4.2.2.2) from the switch and even do a traceroute from it. But users connected to the switch are unable to access the Internet. Traceroute from user workstation times out. It does not even show the switch as the first hop which it is. The setup is pretty basic. the switch has one VLAN and users use that VLAN IP as their default gateway. To test that the firewall is passing: I did a ping from the switch to the Internet as I said earlier which works and I also configured a rule that allows a PAT port to port 23 and allow me access to the switch and it works. So I know the firewall is configured properly and NAT is working. The problem seems to be with the switch. Any help will be greatly appreciated...the switch CAT OS which I hate :-)

2 Replies 2

Tshi M
Level 5
Level 5

I think I solved this...the mentioned switch doesn't seem to be capable of doing routing (not a layer3 device). I changed the servers gateway from the switch IP address to the PIX address and all seem to work fine.

Yes a 2948 is a L2 device only and can do no routing  so pointing  a user gateway at its management address would do nothing.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card