Replies

QOS on 4507

banalas_2
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to enable Qos on 4507RE,when i typed command on interface

(config-if)#auto qos voip cisco-phone

iam geeting following error

The policy AutoQos-VoIP-Input-Cos-Policy cannot be attached to the interface Gi2/41 since it has 'set' actions. IP Routing and CEF Switching are required for 'set' actions to be effective.Please enable IP routing and CEF switching.

AutoQoS Error: the following generated command was not properly applied:

service-policy input AutoQos-VoIP-Input-Cos-Policy

no service-policy attached to this interface

no service-policy attached to this interface

Class-map AutoQos-VoIP-Bearer-Cos is being used

Class-map AutoQos-VoIP-Control-Cos is being used

Class-map AutoQos-VoIP-Bearer-Dscp is being used

Class-map AutoQos-VoIP-Control-Dscp26 is being used

Class-map AutoQos-VoIP-Control-Dscp24 is being used

Class-map AutoQos-VoIP-Bearer-QosGroup is being used

Class-map AutoQos-VoIP-Control-QosGroup26 is being used

Class-map AutoQos-VoIP-Control-QosGroup24 is being used

AutoQoS Error while generating commands on Gi2/41

and globally i cannot enable qos, it giving me an error

i am running following IOS 12.2(50)-SG

Thanks

5 Replies 5

PETER MARTLAND
Level 1
Level 1

The policy AutoQos-VoIP-Input-Cos-Policy cannot be attached to the interface Gi2/41 since it has 'set' actions. IP Routing and CEF Switching are required for 'set' actions to be effective.Please enable IP routing and CEF switching.

this looks interesting try enabling

#ip routing

#ip cef

This Switch is not doing any routing its just layer for end users, trying to connect phones

Thanks

I have a similar issue on a 4506 with sup 4 card....do not want to turn on CEF and IP routing as like yours we

are just using it as an edge switch.

Did you ever resolve this or get an answer to the question

IT has been awhile with this one but even a layer2 device configured with IP routing and IP CEF is not going to cause you any problems. You dont have to configure routed interfaces, just turn on the protocols globally.

Not sure if IP routing is still required to enable CEF although it is a layer 3 function. I have added teh benefits of CEF over L2 switching.

Benefits

CEF offers the following benefits:

Improved performance—CEF is less CPU-intensive than fast switching route caching. More CPU processing power can be dedicated to Layer 3 services such as quality of service (QoS) and encryption.

Scalability—CEF offers full switching capacity at each line card when distributed CEF (dCEF) mode is active.

Resilience—CEF offers unprecedented level of switching consistency and stability in large dynamic networks. In dynamic networks, fast switching cache entries are frequently invalidated due to routing changes. These changes can cause traffic to be process switched using the routing table, rather than fast switched using the route cache. Because the Forwarding Information Base (FIB) lookup table contains all known routes that exist in the routing table, it eliminates route cache maintenance and the fast switch/process switch forwarding scenario. CEF can switch traffic more efficiently than typical demand caching schemes.

let us know what you think

tdistlists
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

If you really don't want to enable ip routing (don't think you can disable cef on a 4500), then I would forgo auto-qos and just build the policy-map manually.

Maybe the easiest way to do this would be to take a spare 4500 -- enable auto-qos to see what commands it would have issued, and then build the same policy on the 4507. This way, it will trip up on a particular portion of the map, and not just give you an error about the entire map. So you'd get your trust/marking portion, maybe even DBL, but not your policing.

Or you can build the policy following this guide: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/prod_white_paper0900aecd8041691c.html

Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card