Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about 3750 image for BGP support

fawad.alam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 3750E-48TD-S switch, which image type would support BGP on this switch?

Thanks,

Fawad

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Fawad

You will need the IP Services image to run BGP.

Jon

Can I install IP Services image on 3750E-48TD-S or do i need an E chassis?

What is universal image? What are different types of images available? I couldn't find all info at one place.

Thanks,

Fawad

You specified an E chassis , but no you don't need an "E" chassis to run BGP.

I have S chassis. Cisco document says S chasiis that I am using only supports IP Base and E chassis supports IP Services. How can I run BGP on my S chassis. 3750E does not mean E chassis, it is the letter at the end.

There is no 3750 S Series

There is

3750G

3750E

3750X

They all can run BGP as long as you have IP Services image.

HTH

The 3750E series use software activation.  You can buy a license to upgrade the license on your switch to IP Services .

3750E-IPSLCB-QTY - IP Services for Cisco Catalyst 3750-E 24 ports, upgrade  from IP Base

Q. What Cisco® Catalyst® fixed switches offer software activation?

A. Cisco Catalyst 3750-E and  3560-E Series Switches offer software activation.

Q. What is software  activation, and how does it work?

A. Software activation  authorizes and activates the Cisco IOS® Software feature set. A special file contained in the  switch, called a license file, is examined by Cisco IOS Software when the switch  is powered on. Based on the license's type, Cisco IOS Software activates the  appropriate feature set. License types can be changed or upgraded to enable a  different feature set.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps7077/QandA_Software_Activation.html

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

I think the "S" and "E" you're referring to are not the chassis, but last letter of the product code, i.e. 3750E-48TD-S.

That last "S" indicates the product has the standard IOS feature set (formerly Standard Multilayer Software Image [SMI], now called IP Base.)

Your switch can be license upgraded to run IP Services (which is what would be found on the product 3750E-48TD-E [formerly Enhanced Multilayer Software Image {EMI}]).

The chassis code the others are referring to is: 3750E-48TD-S.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For the 3750E, you can purchase a license from Cisco to activate the feature set of your choice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card