Views
Helpful
Replies

rapid-pvst missing on my 2950. Why?

James Borwick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to type the command (config)#spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst on my Cisco 2950, but (config)#spanning-tree mode ? only shows me one option - pvst. I've checked the Cisco support page which suggests my version of IOS should support rapid-pvst.

--

Switch_1#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(13)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

--

Any ideas why?

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

James.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looking at feature navigator, I don't see that feature on that platform and image. Even plugging in the latest image shows it still absent.

My conclusion - Rapid PVST is NOT a feature offered on 2950.

(Just for grins I plugged in a 2960 and DO see the feature listed there. So, using feature navigator will include that feature when it's supported on the platform in question.)

The 2950 data sheet does seem to indicate (in error) that the feature is supported.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your switch is a standard mode switch which does not support it.  From a config doc,

The rapid PVST+ is available only if you have the EI installed on your switch.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looking at feature navigator, I don't see that feature on that platform and image. Even plugging in the latest image shows it still absent.

My conclusion - Rapid PVST is NOT a feature offered on 2950.

(Just for grins I plugged in a 2960 and DO see the feature listed there. So, using feature navigator will include that feature when it's supported on the platform in question.)

The 2950 data sheet does seem to indicate (in error) that the feature is supported.

Hope this helps.

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Do you have the standard ver or enhanced ver?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your switch is a standard mode switch which does not support it.  From a config doc,

The rapid PVST+ is available only if you have the EI installed on your switch.

James Borwick
Level 1
Level 1

glen.grant,

After doing a show version again, it appears that I'm only running the standard image which explains why rapid-pvst is not available.

mklemovitch,

I never knew about Cisco Feature Navigator before. I ran a search based on my IOS image and rapid-pvst is not an installed feature. I'll definetely be using Cisco Feature Navigator again.

Thanks for your help guys,

James.

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Friends,

I am absolutely sure that the most recent versions of IOS for 2950 Catalyst switches support the RSTP even in the Standard Image mode, i.e. no Enhanced Image mode is necessary (also considering the fact that the image itself decides whether to run in Standard or Enhanced mode, and is thus dependent on the hardware platform without any option of user selection).

According to the documentation, the RSTP became supported in Standard Image since the IOS version 12.1(20)EA2. Versions 12.1(19)EA1 and earlier support the RSTP only in EI mode. The latest IOS version for 2950 switches is 12.2(22)EA14 and this is the version I recommend upgrading to.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Can I ask you a small favor please? I have posted a question about Multicast on Nexus(layer2 switch) and 6500(layer3)

switch. If you get a chance can you please look into it and provide your valuable input please? It's about intra vlan IP Multicast

Regards

Kishore

pasztor.richard
Level 1
Level 1

2950 (being either Standard Image or Enhanced IMage) both support rapid-pvst. Upgrade to the latest version 12.1.22 EA14, and you will have this feature. I dont see any logical reason sticking with a prehistoric software version, except to make your own life more difficult.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card