Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN port to validate MACSEC/TrustSEC

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

All:

I'm about to run a P.O.C. evaluation of MACSEC/TrustSec technology.

For part of that, I'll want to validate the encryption of the payload inside the Layer2 Frame payload on the wire (and the details of the MACSEC 16 byte header)

If I use a SPAN port to capture traffic from the protected source/destination, I'll be seeing the frame contents pre-transmit-encrypted (or post-receive-decrypted) on the SPAN port destination port, correct? 

E.g., With SPAN, the frame is duplicated/copied from the Transmit buffer before it transmits pm MAC Layer (Optical or Copper)

My understanding is that the payload hashing of MACSEC frames occurs in hardware (programmed by software, but at the time of transmit after the frame queues in the outgoing transmit buffer)

So do I need to use a passive optical splitter to make a validation on-the-wire?

Thanks, ~BAS

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check below thread may help you :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/macsec-on-mirror-port/td-p/4300635

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Your answer is not relevant to the thread. He is running mcasec on the span source, not the span destination.

May be too late for you but leaving it here for others. At least on C9300, you're correct, SPAN cannot see the encryption, as macsec encryption is done after SPAN on egress and decryption before SPAN on ingress.
Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches Architecture White Paper - Cisco

MicrosoftTeams-image (3).png

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card