Views
Helpful
Replies

Stackwise Virtual switch from 10 Gbps to 100 Gbps links

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all

I have a StackWise Virtual setup with two Cat 9500-24Y4C running 16.12.x, where the virtual link currently is built from 4x 10 Gbps links. I would like to switch this now to 100 Gbps links, ideally without any interruption. 

The guide says I can't mix different link speeds 

All the ports used for configuring a StackWise Virtual Link (SVL) must share the same speed. For example, you cannot configure a 10G or a 40G port to form an SVL, simultaneously.

I haven't yet tested the commands, as this is a production network and I don't have a lab to test this. 

Currently I think I would need to power off the second switch, remove the old "stackwise-virtual link 1" from the interfaces and then add it to the new ones and power up the second again? Would that work or will that kill the network because switch2 doesn't know it should use the 100 Gbps interfaces instead of the 10 Gbps ones and thus not form the stack?

Could I maybe create a second domain between the two and add the 100 Gbps links to that one? 

What would be the smoothest way to switch this?

Besides this, I currently don't have a Dual-active detection link between the two switches. If I add this, do I need to reload the whole stack, or would it be enough to first reload one switch, wait until it's running again and then reload the other one, so that I don't get an outage?

Thanks

Patrick

21 Replies 21

@balaji.bandi @Reza Sharifi can you please help on this?

The question is now, what is the best way to swap the stackwise links without causing a configuration mismatch.

Hi @patoberli,

I'm just curious: Did you manage to figure out what the best way is to migrate from 10Gbps links, to links with a higher speed?

In the end I scratched it, because it shouldn't be needed with halfway
normal traffic flows. I just added some more links into the existing channel
which should be enough for the coming years.

Thanks for the quick update! In the mean time i opened a case with TAC for a procedure / guidelines to perform the migration to higher bandwidth SVL-links. If provided and the migration succeeded, i'll try to remember to post it here!

Hi @mfreijser 
Did you receive any document or guidelines to migrate to higher bandwidth SVL links from Cisco?

Regards,

Timothy Patrick
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get any documents or guidelines to migrate to higher bandwidth SVL links from Cisco?

I never did and in the end decided to not upgrade. The reason for not upgrading, there should never really be any large traffic on the SVL link, unless you have a cabling error.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card