Views
Helpful
Replies

unifi waps to cisco switches

robertkwild
Spotlight
Spotlight

hi all,

whats the best way to go about this as atm i have configured the ports connected to the wap like this

interface GigabitEthernet6/0/45
switchport trunk allowed vlan 11,22
switchport mode trunk

this works but sometimes i get "heart beat missed" on the unifi manager but im still connected to wifi

obviously it talks to the unifi manager via the native vlan so thats why i havnt put it in the config but maybe i should

also when im constantly pinging it i see it pinging 9/10 but sometimes it just drops pings and comes back good again but im still connected to wifi

i have seen other ways of people configuring the port, do you think i should try these, they are

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 10

spanning-tree portfast trunk

thanks,

rob

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco native vlan is always 1, if this not the native VLAN, you have changed to 10, then you need to do that config as you mentioned as native vlan 10.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

That was just an example, I didn't even type in that command anyway as the default vlan was already 1

ok as the waps are connected to the switch via trunk should i do no spanning tree portfast bpduguard?

You mean - no spanning tree portfast bpduguard?

spanning-tree portfast trunk  - is good enough.

BB

@balaji.bandiyes

as when i normally set up a switch to switch i normally turn off or no spanning tree portfast bpduguard so they can talk to eachother

im just wondering, if this is why my waps are alays losing heartbeats?

Will this work

No switchport mode access
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,11,22
switchport mode trunk

Switchport trunk native vlan 1

So I'm trunking and making vlan 1 native

Or will it mess it up

Cisco devises by default native VLAN 1, so it does not matter if that native VLAN was added or not. for visibility you can add, that should work

switchport

switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,11,22

BB

Thanks @balaji.bandi this won't cause loops will it in my network connecting these waps to this switch via trunk

where do you see loops here ?

BB

As the unifi uaps I've connected to the cisco switch keep on complaining on the unifi main controller that they either miss a heart beat etc but the other ones connected using unifi switches never miss a heart beat

Just wondering if there is more of a finer tweak I can make on the cisco switches or maybe they just don't like being connected through the cisco switch

Just wondering if I should try a pvid instead of a native vlan as I imagine the pvid and native vlan mean the untagged port on a trunk?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card